One of my favorite movies at this year’s Sundance Film Festival was director James Ponsoldt (Smashed) and writers Scott Neustadter and Michael H. Weber’s (500 Days of Summer) coming of age drama The Spectacular Now. Led by fantastic lead performances from Miles Teller and Shailene Woodley, the film is about two High School seniors that are going in opposite directions. Sutter Keely (Teller) is the life of the party and loves to drink, while Aimee Finicky (Woodley) is pretty, but shy and removed from the popular crowd. When Sutter wakes up on Aimee’s lawn after being dumped by his girlfriend, what starts off as a rebound quickly turn into something more. The film also stars Brie Larson, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, and Kyle Chandler. For more on the film, here is Matt’s review.
The day after the world premiere I sat down with Teller and Woodley for an exclusive video interview. We talked about being at Sundance, how they got cast, the fact that the characters in the film are real and relatable, and more. In addition, each of them talks about their upcoming projects including The Amazing Spider-Man 2. Hit the jump to watch.
Finally, if you missed my video interview with Brie Larson and director James Ponsoldt click the link.
Miles Teller and Shailene Woodley Time Index:
- 0:35 – Miles Teller talks about their experience at Sundance.
- 1:20 – Teller and Woodley comment on the path to getting The Spectacular Now made.
- 2:20 – They talk about how real and relatable the characters are.
- 3:30 – Their preferences on a number of takes during filming.
- 5:15 – They talk about their career track and what projects they’re looking forward to next.
- 7:35 – Woodley talks about her upcoming role in The Amazing Spider-Man 2 and why she wanted to be in it.
- 8:05 – Teller and Woodley tease their upcoming movies.