Opening this weekend, in limited release, is a great movie called Barney’s Version. Based on Mordecai Richler’s prize-winning comic novel, the movie is about four decades, two continents, and the three wives of Barney Panofsky (played to perfection by Paul Giamatti). Without saying too much, the film follows Barney’s long and colorful life and over the course of two hours, we really feel like we’ve spent a lifetime with him. In a good way. And while I singled out Giamatti, Rosamund Pike, Minnie Driver, Rachelle Lefevre, Dustin Hoffman and Scott Speedman are all fantastic. For more on the film, watch the trailer here.
Anyway, the other day I sat down with Minnie Driver and we talked about how she got cast in the film, what it was like to make it, did she read the book, working with Giamatti, doing accents, her music career, her nex film Goats, and so much more. Hit the jump for the interview:
Finally, if you missed my video interview with Scott Speedman, click here. Again, Barney’s Version opens this weekend. Definitely recommended.
- Superman t-shirt talk
- Does she enjoy the promotional process
- Did she go after the part
- Did she read the book to prepare for the role
- How challenging is accents for her
- What has the last year been like for her
- The rehearsal process. Does she like it or does she like finding it on set?
- Did she spend a lot of time with Paul Giamatti before shooting began
- Hanging out in Rome…
- She talks about her music career. Says she is about to start recording a new album
- Goats talk. Her movie she is about to start filming