‘Mortal Kombat’: Producer James Wan Doesn’t “Want to Rush” the Reboot

     August 11, 2016

mortal-kombat-movie

Apparently, Mortal Kombat is still a thing that could happen. The thing is, no one is rushing to get this franchise back on the big screen. That’s what James Wan said during a recent interview during the Television Critics Association.

Wan, who’s on board to produce the new film, told IGN:

It’s still cooking away. With that particular project, that’s a really cool property that I loved growing up as a kid. Besides the game, even the movies as well, I kind of enjoyed them for what they are…The key here is to try and do it right. I don’t want to rush into it. So right now, we’re just trying to take our time to make sure it’s heading in the right direction. I think that’s more important than trying to rush through it and pump up something that no one likes.

The Tracking Board first published word on Wan’s involvement, though at the time he tweeted how “things fall over a lot of times,” suggesting Mortal Kombat may not happen — at least, not with him attached. With him talking about it more freely, things seemed to have worked themselves out, but the filmmaker also has some other major responsibilities. He’s put his mark on the Conjuring franchise and he helped horror director David Sanberg make Lights Out, which is coming back for a sequel. Did I also forget to mention Aquaman?


This latest installment was previously said to be “a departure from the mythology” with “darker, brutally real martial arts,” according to the initial report. It’s also said to be a reboot with a screenplay by Oren Uziel (Mortal Kombat: Legacy) and Dave Callaham (The Expendables) with a plot centered around a man who realizes his true potential after getting drawn into an interdimensional tournament. No director has been set.

mortal_kombat_original_characters

Image via Midway

Watch Now

Latest News