Exclusive Video: Director Michael Bay talks TRANSFORMERS Revenge of the Fallen
Posted by Frosty
Written by Steve 'Frosty' Weintraub
Make no mistake, I am a huge Michael Bay fan. While some have issues with his style, I’m not one of them. And even though some might have wished for another filmmaker to have directed “Transformers”, I thought he was the perfect choice and I loved the way he brought Optimus Prime to life.
As I said, I’m a huge fan.
So when I went to tonight’s premiere of “Friday the 13th” at the Chinese theater in Hollywood, the one person I really wanted to interview was Michael Bay. The reason Michael was there is he runs Platinum Dunes with Brad Fuller and Andrew Form, and they produced “Friday” - along with New Line Cinema. So I hoped he was going to walk the red carpet and maybe I could ask him a few “Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen” questions.
For some reason, things went my way and Michael spoke to me for about 5 minutes and I asked everything I could think of. We talked about running time, will he make a third movie, how is this film different than the first one, IMAX, and how did he get permission to film at the Pyramids in Egypt!
If you’re looking forward to the sequel to “Transformers”, I promise you’ll like this interview.
Finally, a big thank you to everyone at Warner Bros. for getting me a spot at tonight’s premiere, and also to Michael Bay for agreeing to talk with me. And if you didn’t know, the first trailer for “Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen” will be in theaters this Friday on “Friday the 13th”. I’d imagine it’ll be online soon after.
· He announces that he’s taken over Collider
· I ask how he was allowed to film at the Pyramids in Egypt
· I ask if they are going to use IMAX establishing shots like Chris Nolan did on Dark Knight
· He says they have done 3 scenes in IMAX
· He talks about Transformers 2 and what he likes about it – says the robots have a lot more personality and he was able to get emote much more than the first movie
· Also says it’s going to be darker and epic in scale – says the human characters go on a ride with the robots
· I ask about the running time – says right now it’s 2 hours 20 minutes but he still editing
· I ask if he will do a third Transformers movie or does he see himself doing another franchise – says he could see himself doing a third but he wants to take a year off no matter what