If you’re a fan of Mike Judge (“Office Space”, “Idiocracy”, “King of the Hill”, “Beavis and Butt-head”), you are absolutely going to love the interview I did with this talented writer/director for his new movie “Extract”. That’s because when I sat down for an extended interview last week, we not only discussed his new film and how he managed to get it made with complete artistic control, but what exactly happened on “Office Space” and why did “Idiocracy” not get promoted when it was released back in 2006. While I say you’re about to watch a great interview a lot…this interview with Mike Judge is one of the best I’ve ever done on Collider because Mike was so open and honest about what happened on his previous movies.
I really mean it when I say, if you’re a fan of “Office Space”, “Idiocracy”, or just a fan of Mike Judge, make the time and watch this interview! Of course the reason I got to speak with Mike is for his new movie “Extract”, so make sure you see it this weekend as it’s really funny and if it does well…it could lead to more movies! Here’s the interview. I promise you’ll love it.
As always, I’ve listed what we talked about above each part. Part 1 covers “Extract” and “Office Space”. Part 2 is all about “Idiocracy”. And here’s a link so you can watch some clips from Mike’s new movie “Extract”.
- I profess my love…
- I ask if he’s noticed how many people are loving his work
- What is it going to take to get a new Mike Judge film every year – says he might start making more movies now that King of the Hill is over
- Explains what happened with Office Space at 20th Century Fox and how the executives tried to get him to make changes
- Talks about how Extract was a much better experience to make
- Casting Ben Affleck and Jason Bateman – did it help make the movie?
- Talks about how he wrote the film on spec. and how he got the money from private investors
- Talks about Office Space and the casting of that film
- Would he ever consider characters from his films walking by in a future film – we also talk about Easter Eggs in his films
- What will be on the DVD/Blu-ray of Extract
- Is he a fan of extended cuts or director cuts
- Would he release Extract as an extended cut
Mike Judge Part 2 – Idiocracy
- Idiocracy talk – what really happened
- The ad that could have been