After storming into theaters last year, the first movie from the acclaimed superhero franchise My Hero Academia is now available on Blu-ray. Fans of Deku & Co. can enjoy the superheroic team-up of Izuku Midoriya and the all-powerful All Might in My Hero Academia: Two Heroes, the feature directorial debut of series director Kenji Nagasaki that boasts an original story from manga creator Kôhei Horikoshi. It follows the heroes-in-training as they head to I Island for a summer trip, but end up battling a new villain when he takes everyone hostage.
You can click here for my full review of the movie itself, but I also had a chance to check out the Blu-ray release thanks to FUNimation. The story is just as much fun to watch the second time around, so it’s worth the pick-up for that alone if you’re an MHA fan and/or a completionist. There’s not much to speak of in the special features, as is FUNimation’s way, but they do have an exclusive chat with the English-language cast, including Christopher Sabat, Justin Briner, Erica Mendez, Keith Silverstein, and Ray Chase. Click here to head over to FUNimation’s store and add My Hero Academia: Two Heroes to your collection today!
Special Feature: The Making of a Hero: Never-Before-Seen Interview with the English Cast (~20 minutes):
- Christopher R. Sabat (All Might), Justin Briner (Izuku “Deku” Midoriya), Erica Mendez (Melissa Shield), Keith Silverstein (Wolfram), and Ray Chase (David Shield) participate in a behind-the-scenes chat about their voice acting for the movie. Viewers will get to see the actors in the voice-booth performing some epic scenes from the film itself.
- Sabat talks about the evolution of All Might’s voice and explores the younger, less sure of himself version of the character. He even plays a bit with All Might’s catchphrases.
- Silverstein talks about joining the franchise and comparing its world to that of Marvel/DC Comics he grew up reading, where the stories existed in a world that was less structured and regulated. He reveals that, once the heist takes place, that’s where he really started to get a feel for the villainous character; they actually went back and recorded some of the earlier lines to give him the same feeling.
- Mendez comments on playing the quirkless girl in the movie. She sees Melissa as wanting to be a hero in her own way and protect the people she cares about by supporting the more powerful heroes.
- Briner talks about how Deku is always there, whenever his friends need him. He also comments on Deku finding out that Melissa was born without a quirk, something Deku knows from firsthand experience but can’t talk about it with her because of how he acquired his power.
There’s a cool back-and-forth between Chase and Sabat, which leads into Chase talking about David and his motivations and intentions in the film. The cast comments on how their characters responded to the reveals in the film in the third act.
- Sabat and Briner talk about the moment that All-Might and Deku fight side by side to deliver a Double Detroit Smash and comment on whether it’s the passing of the torch or not.
- The cast then comments on the idea of working hard to overcome difficulties, like Deku and Melissa, despite not having natural-born talents, like the rest of the heroes and villains in the story. They leave with a heartfelt thank you to the fans, which is always a nice way to wrap up a special feature.
For more on the My Hero Academia: Two Heroes Blu-ray, read on:
Ranked the number one hero anime year after year, My Hero Academia’s first movie SMASHED the box office! Deku and his friends take on a daring rescue operation when villains hack into I-Expo—the world’s leading hero item exhibition. All Might is trapped by their sinister plan, and his best hope for saving everyone lies in the new generation of heroes.
- Full Length Feature Film available on Blu-ray, DVD & Digital
- Includes O-card, Amaray & Disc
- Includes an Exclusive Special Feature on Blu-ray: The Making of a Hero: Never-Before-Seen Interview with the English Cast
- For a limited time, get a Funimation exclusive Deku button with your purchase