Opening this weekend, in limited release, is director Juan Antonio Bayona’s The Impossible. Based on a true story, the film stars Naomi Watts and Ewan McGregor as the parents of three boys vacationing in Thailand in 2004 when the tsunami hit. Having survived, but finding themselves separated, the family members search for each other amidst the chaos, encountering strangers caught up in the same situation along the way. The film also stars Tom Holland, Samuel Joslin, and Oaklee Pendergast. For more on The Impossible, here are eight clips and the trailer.
At the recent Los Angeles press day I got to speak to Naomi Watts. We talked about why she wanted to make The Impossible, how she prepared for the role, filming the intense water scenes, and more. In addition, we also talked about David Lynch’s Mulholland Drive and director Oliver Hirschbiegel’s Diana movie (she’s playing Princess Diana). Hit the jump to watch.
Finally, click here to watch my video interview with Ewan McGregor.
- When was the last time someone asked her to explain Mulholland Drive
- Why did she want to make The Impossible
- How does she typically prepare for a role and how did she prepare for this one. Talks about how she talked to the real person
- Talks about filming the water scenes
- She’s filming the Princess Diana movie right now. Was it a role she debated before taking