Opening this weekend is director Nicholas Stoller’s extremely funny R-rated comedy Neighbors. The film stars Seth Rogen and Rose Byrne as a married couple with a newborn baby who must deal with a fraternity—fronted by Zac Efron—when it moves in next door. Response to the pic’s premiere at the SXSW Film Festival was highly positive, and the theater I was in loved the film. It’s definitely something you should see with a big audience next weekend. Neighbors also stars Dave Franco, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, Jake Johnson, Ike Barinholtz, Carla Gallo, Jerrod Carmichael, and Lisa Kudrow.
At the New York City press day I landed an extended video interview with producers Evan Goldberg and James Weaver. Besides talking about Preacher and Sausage Party, we spent a lot of time talking about Neighbors. They told me a great story about the first time they met Zac Efron for the film, how they made the movie for $18 million, their belief in the film and making sacrifices to make it happen, why they shot in L.A. and how it helped the film, deleted scenes, and much more. In addition, they talked about a deleted scene with Nick Offerman and Megan Mullally that they called the craziest thing they’ve ever filmed. I cannot wait to see it on the Blu-ray. Hit the jump to watch.
- 0:30 – The producers play the Gummi Bear game with Steve.
- 2:05 – They reveal a “must see” scene from the film featuring Zac Efron and Seth Rogen.
- 2:30 – They comment on the process of getting Efron involved with the film.
- 4:55 – They talk budgets and compare themselves to other films that are currently out.
- 6:05 – They talk about their belief in the film, making sacrifices to make it happen, and the challenges of a smaller budget.
- 7:30 – They comment on the decision to film in Los Angeles.
- 8:00 – They reveal some one-day/one-line actors like Jake Johnson and Jason Mantzoukas.
- 9:30 – They talk about deleted scenes and Nick Offerman’s scene, calling it “the craziest thing [they’ve] ever filmed.”
- 11:45 – They comment more on deleted sex scenes featuring Christopher Mintz-Plasse and Carla Gallo.
- 12:45 – More deleted scenes talk.
- 13:45 – They setup the film’s expected drinking game.