Production Begins on Netflix’s ‘The King’ Starring Timothee Chalamet and Joel Edgerton
Production has begun on David Michôd’s new movie for Netflix, The King. Written by Michôd and Joel Edgerton, the film is inspired by Shakespeare’s Henry IV and Henry V as it follows a disgraced young Prince Hal (Timothee Chalamet) who eventually learns what it means to be king thanks to his friend Falstaff (Edgerton).
The film has a killer cast that also includes Ben Mendelsohn (thus marking an Animal Kingdom reunion between Mendelsohn, Michôd, and Edgerton), Sean Harris, Lily-Rose Depp, and Robert Pattinson. The film also marks Michôd’s new project for Netflix after last year’s War Machine.
The film won’t literally take Shakespeare’s words and instead will use his plotting and characters but employ the common vernacular a la Game of Thrones. It sounds like a film that needs an epic canvas as it explores what it means to rule, so hopefully Netflix will give the movie a bit of a theatrical release.
Check out the press release below, which details the characters the cast will be playing. The King will be released sometime in 2019.
NETFLIX’S “THE KING” STARTS PRODUCTION IN THE UK
Robert Pattinson, Sean Harris, Ben Mendelsohn, Lily-Rose Depp, Tom Glynn-Carney and Thomasin Harcourt McKenzie join cast
- Director: David Michôd (War Machine, Animal Kingdom, The Rover)
- Writers: Joel Edgerton and Michôd
- Producers: Academy Award winning Plan B will produce along with ith Porchlight Films’ Liz Watts (who produced the Michôd-directed Animal Kingdom and The Rover), Edgerton and Michôd
- Cast: Academy Award nominee Timothée Chalamet (Call Me By Your Name, Lady Bird), Golden Globe nominee Joel Edgerton (Bright, Loving, The Great Gatsby), Sean Harris (Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation, Macbeth), Golden Globe nominee Ben Mendelsohn (The Land of Steady Habits, Ready Player One, Bloodline), Robert Pattinson (Good Time, The Lost City of Z), Lily-Rose Depp (The Summoning, The Dancer), Tom Glynn-Carney (Dunkirk) and Thomasin Harcourt McKenzie (Leave No Trace)
- Edgerton will be playing Falstaff; Chalamet will be playing Hal; Pattinson will be playing The Dauphin; Mendelsohn will be playing King Henry IV; Depp will be playing Princess Catherine; Harris will be playing William; Glynn-Carney will be playing Hotspur; McKenzie will be playing Philippa
Log line: Inspired by elements of Shakespeare’s Henry IV and Henry V, a young, disgraced prince, Hal inherits the crown and must learn what it means to be a king, guided by his one true friend, Falstaff.