Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows came out almost seven years ago, and ended with a touching epilogue where the main characters were now sending their children off to Hogwarts. There were minor clues about what they chose to do after saving the world, but it was summed up wonderfully with the final line, “All was well.” While Rowling has stated on multiple occasions that Harry Potter’s story is finished and that there won’t be any more books, there’s nothing wrong with checking in on the characters, especially if you do it in a fun way.
Rowling has taken to Pottermore, the official interactive Harry Potter website, to provide an update on a 34-year-old Harry Potter and other members of Dumbledore’s Army. However, you have to cut through Rita Skeeter’s poison pen to gleam the truth. Hit the jump for more.
People who are registered at Pottermore can read Skeeter’s full gossip column, but here are the highlights [spoilers, I guess?]
- The reunion takes place at the Quidditch World Cup
- Harry has “a couple threads of silver” in his hair, and sports a new scar over his right cheekbone, but still wears his distinctive round-frame glasses. He continues to work as an Auror, and his missions are top secret.
- Ginny is a sports reporter for the Daily Prophet.
- Harry and Victor Krum are still friends, and Krum plays for the Bulgarian Quidditch Team, who are in the World Cup.
- Ron went to work in the Ministry of Magic with Harry, but left after two years to work with George running the “highly successful” Weasleys’ Wizard Wheezes.
- As for the rest of the Weasley clan, Charlie is an unmarried dragon wrangler, Bill is still married to Fleur, and Percy is the Head of the Department of Magical Transportation, which is so perfect for his character. It’s an important job but in no way glamorous or cool.
- Hermoine (who is still near the top of Rita’s enemies list judging by the gossip columnist’s tone) has had a meteoric rise through the Ministry of Magic, and she’s currently the Deputy Head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement.
- Neville Longbottom remains a popular Herbology teacher at Hogwarts and married Hannah Abbott, who is applying to be a Matron at the school.
- Luna Lovegood married Rolf Scamander, “swarthy grandson of celebrated Magizoologist Newt (who is also the protagonist of the upcoming Harry Potter spinoff movie, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them). They have twin sons.
- And what about the next generation of wizards? Teddy Lupin, Harry Potter’s sixteen-year-old godson, is a bit of a “wild child” (although who knows when it comes to Skeeter’s nasty bent), and has been “snogging” heavily with Bill and Fleur’s daughter, Victoire.
So this “update” technically takes place three years before the final chapter of Deathly Hallows since the book ends nineteen years after the Battle of Hogwarts, but Teddy, who was born just before the battle, is only sixteen.
Nevertheless, I was surprised at how overjoyed I was to learn new details about the lives of these beloved characters. I don’t want a new Harry Potter book, but I would love to keep checking in with characters who feel like old friends.