Earlier today at its D23 Expo, Disney revealed that there are plans for the launch of two Star Wars theme parks in Anaheim and Orlando. But, for those hoping for some Star Wars theme park action before then, Disney has also just released new information about just such “enhancements,” including an updated Star Tours and a Launch Bay.
To put a finer point on it: according to their press release, the new Star Tours (“The Adventures Continues”) will focus on adventures from Star Wars: The Force Awakens, while the Launch Bay that will serve as an interactive experience that will including special exhibits, peeks behind-the-scenes, as well as opportunities to meet and greet with favorite Star Wars characters (along with merch and food, of course). The Launch Bay will be located in the Animation Courtyard at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, and in Disneyland’s Tomorrowland. At Tomorrowland, it will also share space with a reimagined Super Hero HQ, with opportunities to meet with Captain America, Thor (be still my heart …) and the returning Iron Man Tech Presented by Stark Industries.
Disney says that both of these new experiences will be open later this year, which is pretty cool (and pretty fast!) Additionally, the upgrades will include new characters and a new villain from Disney XD’s Star Wars Rebels series as part of the revamped Jedi Training Academy. Further, the new seasonal event “Season of the Force” (which will begin in early 2016) will allow guests to explore a Star Wars galaxy with “special entertainment throughout the land” with themed food locales at Tomorrowland, as well as a new twist on an old classic (Space Mountain, that is) with Hyperspace Mountain, where “guests will join an X-wing Starfighter battle.” And at Disney’s Hollywood Studios locations, there will be new fireworks shows set to Star Wars movie scores
So basically … Disney is doubling, tripling, quadrupling down on Star Wars at their theme parks, in addition to their plans for an entire Star Wars theme park in the future. You can check out the concept art and first poster below (click for high-res). Are you excited, fans? What upgrade are you looking forward to the most?
Here’s part of the press release which details what is coming:
Star Wars Enhancements & New Experiences
From a new Star Tours adventure to Star Wars Launch Bay, from a new Jedi Training Academy to “Season of the Force,” soon guests will be part of both new and enhanced experiences at Walt Disney World Resort and Disneyland Resort.
- Star Tours – The Adventures Continue – Later this year, Star Tours will include a new adventure featuring locations and characters from the upcoming film, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, giving guests a new adventure in the Star Wars galaxy.
- Star Wars Launch Bay – This interactive experience will take guests into the upcoming film, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, with special exhibits and peeks behind-the-scenes, including opportunities to visit with new and favorite Star Wars characters, special merchandise and food offerings. Star Wars Launch Bay will be located in the Animation Courtyard at Disney’s Hollywood Studios and in Tomorrowland at Disneyland park. Also atDisneyland park, Star Wars Launch Bay will share the space with the reimagined Super Hero HQ, featuring opportunities to meet and take photos with super heroes like Captain America and Thor, as well as experience the returning Iron Man Tech Presented by Stark Industries. Both experiences will be available for guests later this year.
- Jedi Training Academy— A favorite of younger fans is reimagined with a new experience that includes new characters and a new villain to battle from the popular Disney XD series “Star Wars Rebels.”
- Season of the Force – This new seasonal event, beginning early 2016, brings new experiences to both coasts. In Tomorrowland at Disneyland park, guests will explore the Star Wars galaxy with special entertainment throughout the land, themed food locations and more. Guests also will be thrilled to climb aboard Hyperspace Mountain, a reimagining of the classic Space Mountain attraction, in which guests will join an X-wing Starfighter battle. At Disney’s Hollywood Studios, guests will close out weekend nights with a new fireworks spectacular set to the iconic score of the Star Wars movies.
You can also check out all of our recent Star Wars coverage below:
- ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ — Current Runtime Revealed
- ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ Poster by Drew Struzan Revealed
- First ‘Star Wars: Rogue One’ Photo Reveals New Cast Members
- Confirmed: Colin Trevorrow Will Direct ‘Star Wars: Episode IX’
- Star Wars Anthology’: Kathleen Kennedy Reveals Age for Young Han Solo