One of the many films to premiere at Sundance this year was director Jordan Vogt-Roberts offbeat coming-of-age comedy Toy’s House. Written by Chris Galletta, the film is about three unhappy teens (Nick Robinson, Gabriel Basso, Moises Arias) “who flee to the wilderness where they build a makeshift house and live off the land as masters of their own destiny.” Toy’s House also stars Nick Offerman, Alison Brie, Megan Mullally, and Mary Lynn Rajskub.
Shortly after the premiere I sat down with Nick Offerman. We talked about being back at Sundance (he was there last year with Smashed), how he got involved with Toy’s House, making movies with his wife Megan Mullally, how does he pick projects, and more. In addition, we talked about The Lego Movie (he voicing the pirate Metalbeard), Parks and Recreation, and more. Hit the jump to watch.
- Offerman’s wife Megan Mullally was supposed to be part of the interview, but couldn’t make it.
- 0:50 – Offerman and Mullally were at Sundance last year for Smashed. Offerman talks about getting into Sundance.
- 1:50 – Offerman and Mullally look for opportunities to work together. Offerman helped bring Mullally on to Toy’s House.
- 2:30 – Pitches the story for people who haven’t seen the movie.
- 4:10 – Talks about how he chooses projects based on the script and the cast/crew and improvisation.
- 6:00 – Offerman is voicing the pirate Metalbeard in the Lego movie.
- 6:40 – Says the Lego script is very funny but also has a touching message.
- 7:30 – They haven’t had much trouble with security on the Parks and Recreation set even though Pawnee signs clearly point to the set.
- 8:30 – Teases the upcoming Parks episodes.