Opening tomorrow is DreamWorks Animations’ The Croods. Directed by Kirk De Micco (Space Chimps) and Chris Sanders (How to Train Your Dragon), The Croods centers on a prehistoric family embarking on the world’s first road trip through an uncharted, fantastical and dangerous world. The film features the voice talents of Emma Stone, Ryan Reynolds, Nicolas Cage, Clark Duke, Catherine Keener and Cloris Leachman. For more on The Croods, you can watch 8 clips here.
At the New York City press junket, I was able to speak with Cage. While I’ve spoken to him a few times before this interview, for whatever reason, this is easily the best one by a mile. We talked about making The Croods, how Jeffrey Katzenberg had tried to get Cage in other DreamWorks Animation movies before this one but he’d always said no, how he was waterboarded making The Croods (seriously), doing Get in the Cage with Nic Cage on Saturday Night Live, the importance of Action Comics #1 and how it was the best investment he’s ever made, Ghost Rider 3, National Treasure 3, and a lot more. Trust me, you want to watch this interview.
- Talks about having his copy of Action Comics #1 being stolen and how other people are trying to make a movie about it. Also says it was the single best investment he’s ever made and it was the most important comic book ever made. Explains why.
- Talks about doing Get in the Cage with Nicolas Cage on Saturday Night Live
- Jeffrey Katzenberg had tried to get Cage in other DreamWorks Animation movies before The Croods. What was it about this project that got him to sign on
- A monkey interrupts us. Seriously.
- Talks about how he was waterboarded making The Croods
- How did the story and his character changed during production
- Ghost Rider 3 talk
- National Treasure 3 talk