Opening this weekend is director Olivier Megaton‘s Taken 2. In the sequel, Liam Neeson’s character unwisely takes his family on a European vacation, only to find himself and his wife (Famke Janssen) taken hostage by the family members of the henchmen that Neeson brutally murdered in the first film. The film also stars Maggie Grace and Rade Serbedzija. For more on the film, here’s four clips and all our previous coverage.
Last week in New York City I got to sit down with Megaton for an extended video interview. We talked about how he came to direct the sequel, whether there were any sequences he struggled with, the running time, the first cut versus the final version, the editing process and dealing with the MPAA, future projects (which might include an adaptation of The Land of the Living), and Megaton revealed that the Taken 2 Blu-ray will include a longer cut of the film that’s unrated. Hit the jump to watch.
Olivier Megaton Time Index:
- 0:15 – Olivier Megaton comments on the promotional side of directing Taken 2.
- 1:50 – Megaton talks about particular sequences in the film that he struggled with, including a car chase that gave him difficulties.
- 4:55 – Megaton reveals how and why he got involved with Taken 2.
- 6:20 – Regarding running time, Megaton talks about the first cut versus the final version, the editing process and censorship.
- 8:15 – Megaton further comments on the increasing scrutiny of censors and the confusing standards of the current ratings system.
- 10:50 – Megaton talks about the ratings scandal surrounding Luc Besson’s Leon: The Professional.
- 12:25 – Megaton reveals that there will be an unrated version of Taken 2 on Blu-ray with an extended running time.
- 13:20 – Having recently wrapped on Taken 2, Megaton talks about his possible future projects, including an adaptation of The Land of the Living.