Before getting to speak with writer-director Oren Peli (Paranormal Activity) on the red carpet at this year’s Scream Awards, I was told he was pretty guarded when talking about future projects. They were not wrong. That’s because while Peli was more than happy to talk about his involvement in Paranormal Activity 2 and whether or not the films could become a franchise like Saw, when I started asking him questions about his follow up film, Area 51, he immediately started to stonewall me. I’ve interviewed a number of people over the last few years and most are willing to at least acknowledge their next project…not Peli.
However, while he wouldn’t tell me anything on Area 51, we did talk about whether or not he’s willing to direct something he didn’t write, is he going to only work in the studio system, could he see a Paranormal Activity 3 next Halloween, and is he writing other projects. Hit the jump watch what he had to say. As usual, I’ve time indexed the interview so you can watch the parts that interest you.
- What was it like for him with the way the film took off
- :25 – What was it like producing the second film and how involved was he
- :53 – The Easter Eggs of the trailer
- 1:12 – How much are they thinking Paranormal Activity can be a franchise like Saw
- 1:50 – Could he see Paranormal Activity 3 next Halloween
- 2:05 – I try and ask about Area 51
- 2:25 – Is he writing other projects right now
- 2:37 – When can fans look forward to seeing footage from his upcoming movie
- 2:55 – Does he see himself only making studio funded movies from now on
- 3:20 – Will he direct something he didn’t write
- 3:35 – What can fans look forward to on the Paranormal Activity 2 DVD/Blu-ray