As I mentioned last week, Collider partnered up with LA-based special events group A-List Communications and sponsor Foster Grant Sunglasses to bring an exclusive “Supper Suite” pop-up to Austin during the first weekend of the sprawling film, music and interactive festival in Austin, Texas.
For three days from March 9-11, 2018, The “Supper Suite” has taken over Austin lounge Basecamp, located at 120 West. 5th Street and hosted cast cocktail receptions for six official SXSW film selections: American Animals, Support the Girls, Sadie, Outside In, A Vigilante, and You Can Choose Your Own Family.
Since these are private parties, I promised to share plenty of pictures and info from the party and up next is the combined party for Outside-In, Prospect and Sadie. If you’re not familiar with the films, here’s how SXSW describes each one:
After serving 20 years for the crime of essentially being in the wrong place at the wrong time, 38-year-old Chris (Jay Duplass) is granted early parole thanks largely to the tireless advocacy of Carol (Edie Falco), his former high-school teacher. As he struggles with the challenges of navigating the modern world as an ex-con, and with a fraught relationship with his brother Ted (Ben Schwartz), Chris ends up confessing his romantic love for Carol — a love that, given her marital status, Carol cannot reciprocate. Or can she? Carol longs for something her husband no longer provides. Meanwhile, Carol’s daughter Hildy befriends Chris, finding a kindred spirit in this awkward, tormented older guy.
- Director: Lynn Shelton
- Principal Cast: Jay Duplass, Edie Falco, Kaitlyn Dever, Ben Schwartz
A teenage girl and her father travel to a remote alien moon, aiming to strike it rich. They’ve secured a contract to harvest a large deposit of the elusive gems hidden in the depths of the moon’s toxic forest. But there are others roving the wilderness and the job quickly devolves into a fight to survive. Forced to contend not only with the forest’s other ruthless inhabitants, but with her own father’s greed-addled judgment, the girl finds she must carve her own path to escape.
- Directors: Zeek Earl, Chris Caldwell
- Principle Cast: Sophie Thatcher, Pedro Pascal, Jay Duplass, Andre Royo, Sheila Vand, Anwan Glover
SADIE is the story of a 13-year-old girl who lives at home with her mother while her father serves repeated tours in the military. Sadie is extremely attached to her father despite his prolonged absence, and when her mother begins dating a new man, Sadie takes extreme measures to end the relationship and safeguard her family through the only tactics she knows–those of war.
- Director: Megan Griffiths
- Principal Cast: Sophia Mitri Schloss , Melanie Lynskey, John Gallagher Jr., Danielle Brooks, Tony Hale, Keith L. Williams, Tee Dennard
Check out a ton of pics from the party and a few highlights below.
- Edie Falco arrived at the event where producers arranged a vegetarian and vegan taco bar for her much to her delight.
- Rest of the cast for each films came in great spirits and enjoyed the Foster Grant Sunglasses giveaway and Tequila Revolucion margaritas.