Thank to Robert Rodriguez posting the Predators sneak peak trailer on the official site last night, I screen-grabbed over 20 images from the clip so you can look at them without having to continually push pause. While some of you out there thought 20th Century Fox was going to, once again, fuck us with another bad Predator movie after the AVP fiascoes, I think after you see these images or watch the sneak peak trailer, you’ll be completely on board. Also, Predator dogs are coming!
In addition, I did a set visit on Predators back in December, and while I’m under embargo from saying what I learned on the set visit, Rodriguez and director Nimrod Antal are not, and last night at SXSW they revealed a ton of info about the movie. Hit the jump to read a bullet point recap and also check out the images. The official trailer get released on March 18th.
Since I wasn’t at SXSW, here’s the bullet point recap courtesy of Cinema Blend.
- The idea for the movie came from a 1996 script by Robert Rodriguez, but it’s been rewritten extensively since his script featured a return by Schwarzenegger’s Dutch from the original movie, while this movie does not.
- The original Predator design from the original movie is in there, used for the first time since the 1987 movie. It’s a small part, but Rodriguez describes it as” a total flashback”, like seeing an actor you haven’t seen in a long time on screen.
- Predators won’t be in 3D.
- The movie uses primarily practical effects. The predators are all actors in costumes, there are no CG predators. Green screen was used only on a few brief sequences. They shot on location in Hawaii and in places around Austin.
- Predators will definitely be rated-R. Fox may be planning an Unrated DVD.
- James Cameron told Rodriguez that he came up with the original design for the Predator mouth used by effects guru Stan Winston.
- Their first attempt at a trailer was rejected by the MPAA, and it ended with the Predators title fading out to leave only the “R”, a clear hint at their intention to deliver a gritty, hard-R film. You won’t see that in the trailers which were finally approved.
- The film will introduce new kinds of never before seen predators. The concept was to develop the “iPod of predators”. Rodriguez explains these streamlined predators as being part of a different tribe from the ones we’ve seen before. It’s like the difference between “wolves and dogs”. New predators include Falconer predators, a massive Flusher predator they call “Mr. Black” (referred to in some internet rumors as a “Super Predator” which is just a meaningless script description), and you’ll see predator dogs along with airborne predator creatures.
- Rodriguez and Antal wanted each human character on the planet to feel like they could be a character in their own solo story.
- Expect to see lots of different alien creatures, including predator animals and other “prey” brought to the planet by predator hunters.
- You’ll see two different predator tribes in the movie.
- All of the film’s characters are new and how they get to the planet is new.
- There is a reference in the film to the original movie in the form of something a character believes was a ghost story. This character will recognize the original predator for what it is when it’s seen.
Here’s the official synopsis and the images:
A bold new chapter in the Predator universe, Predators was shot on location under Rodriguez’s creative auspices at the filmmaker’s Austin-based Troublemaker Studios, and is directed by Nimród Antal. The film stars Adrien Brody as Royce, a mercenary who reluctantly leads a group of elite warriors who come to realize they’ve been brought together on an alien planet… as prey. With the exception of a disgraced physician, they are all cold-blooded killers – mercenaries, Yakuza, convicts, death squad members – human “predators” that are now being systemically hunted and eliminated by a new breed of alien Predators. In addition to Adrien Brody, the film stars Topher Grace, Alice Braga, and Laurence Fishburne. Co-starring are Walton Goggins, Danny Trejo, Oleg Taktarov and Mahershalalhashbaz Ali.