At last weekend’s WonderCon, I was able to land an exclusive video interview with Guillermo Del Toro. As you may have noticed, all week we’ve posted parts of the interview (Pacific Rim 2 news, Justice League Dark news, his thoughts on a Pacific Rim vs. Godzilla movie) but it’s now time to offer the entire conversation.
During our extended conversation, we talked about the fans’ positive reaction to the Pacific Rim footage, what the test screenings have been like, how he directs every single detail you see on the screen, his preference for visual sense of depth over 3D gimmicks, the Pac Rim comic book with cover art by Alex Ross, the status of his FX series The Strain, all of his upcoming projects, and so much more. If you’re a del Toro fan, I promise you will love this interview. Hit the jump to watch.
- 0:15 – Talks about taking the stage at WonderCon for Pacific Rim and the fans’ positive reaction.
- 0:45 – Comments on the results of a recent test screening for Pacific Rim, calling it a “rock concert vibe.”
- 1:45 – Reveals the progress on the visual effects for each test screening, his process for directing every facet of the effects on screen and details two scenes from the film.
- 4:10 – Talks about the progress of the visual effects as seen in 3D.
- 5:15 – Mentions his preference for visual sense of depth over 3D gimmicks.
- 6:25 – Goes into detail about the process of creating the prequel comic for Pacific Rim and just how involved he was in it.
- 7:15 – Alex Ross designed the cover and del Toro, who is a fan, talks about being star-struck by him.
- 8:00 – Talks about trying to buy Ross’s artwork.
- 8:35 – Comments on a hypothetical Pacific Rim and Godzilla cross-over down the road.
- 10:00 – Reveals just how far along they are on work on a Pacific Rim sequel.
- 10:55 – Talks about his upcoming projects, including a pilot for FX’s The Strain, a practical make-up effects company he’s starting, prepping Crimson Peak, Saturn and the End of Days, Pinocchio and small films versus large films.
- 12:45 – Comments on his move to Toronto to shoot a variety of projects.
- 13:45 – Talks more about “Justice League Dark,’ Heaven Sent/Dark Universe and the characters that will be involved, such as John Constantine, Etrigan the Demon, Swamp Thing, Zatanna and Floronic Man.