UPDATE: Steve here. I just spoke to Guillermo del Toro and he wanted to make it clear that the footage in the video has NOTHING to do with Pacific Rim.
Guillermo del Toro‘s visual effects company Mirada has released a promotional video that pitches their use of technology to serve storytelling. It features a bunch of excerpts of Mirada’s work, the most exciting of which shows a giant robot shooting missiles from his arm. This is very likely related to Pacific Rim. It does not appear to be finalized footage, but could be pre-visualization for those robots (called Jaegers), so it’s worth a look after the jump.
And for more on Pacific Rim, check out our interview with del Toro where he talks about the first trailer, the 3D conversion, the sequel, and more. Starring Charlie Hunnam, Idris Elba, Rinko Kikuchi, Charlie Day, and Ron Perlman, Pacific Rim opens July 12, 2013.
If you like listening to del Toro speak, make sure to check out our hourlong interview with the man circa Comic-Con:
- Part 1: Guillermo del Toro Talks PACIFIC RIM, Comic-Con, and Working with Legendary’s Thomas Tull Who Asked Him to “Make it More Kick-Ass”
- Part 2: Guillermo del Toro Talks PACIFIC RIM, Why They Used the RED EPIC & Didn’t Do 3D; Reveals Blu-ray Will Have 30 Minutes of Deleted Scenes
- Part 3: Guillermo del Toro Explains Why He Put Together an International Cast for PACIFIC RIM; Talks About the Film’s Monsters, Robots, and Massive Battles
- Part 4: Guillermo del Toro Talks About His Love of MONDO, Whether PACIFIC RIM Will Get a Print, His Upcoming Book GUILLERMO DEL TORO’S CABINET OF CURIOSITIES, New Man Cave Purchases, and More
- Part 5: Guillermo del Toro Talks RISE OF THE GUARDIANS and PINOCCHIO; Hopes to Begin Voice Recording in Jan 2013 and Ron Perlman Will Play Stromboli
- Part 6: Guillermo del Toro Talks ABC’s Live-Action HULK; Reveals He Thought About Directing THE WOLVERINE and THOR
- Part 7: Guillermo del Toro Talks HAUNTED MANSION and His Love of HARRY POTTER
- Part 8: Guillermo del Toro Talks PACIFIC RIM Soundtrack and Collectables
- Part 9: Guillermo del Toro Talks DR. STRANGE, Why Video Game Adaptations are So Difficult, and His Failed HALO Movie With D.B. Weiss
- Part 10: Guillermo del Toro Talks GAME OF THRONES, WALKING DEAD & BREAKING BAD; Reveals He Was Going to Cameo as Mexican Doctor
When legions of monstrous creatures, known as Kaiju, started rising from the sea, a war began that would take millions of lives and consume humanity’s resources for years on end. To combat the giant Kaiju, a special type of weapon was devised: massive robots, called Jaegers, which are controlled simultaneously by two pilots whose minds are locked in a neural bridge. But even the Jaegers are proving nearly defenseless in the face of the relentless Kaiju. On the verge of defeat, the forces defending mankind have no choice but to turn to two unlikely heroes—a washed up former pilot (Charlie Hunnam) and an untested trainee (Rinko Kikuchi)—who are teamed to drive a legendary but seemingly obsolete Jaeger from the past. Together, they stand as mankind’s last hope against the mounting apocalypse.