With Pacific Rim opening this weekend, I recently landed an exclusive interview with Guillermo del Toro. During the interview he talked about the early test screenings, how he didn’t want the movie to look like a sleek car commercial (he jokingly calls his visual style “goth tech”), collaborating with ILM to create the amazing monster vs. robot fights, making sure the action is clear and believable, why you should see it in IMAX 3D, the Sideshow Collectible Pacific Rim toys, and so much more. Hit the jump for what he had to say and make sure to see Pac Rim in IMAX 3D this weekend. It’s definitely worth the extra charge.
- Explains how the interview room relates to Pacific Rim.
- 0:45 – Says the early screenings tested very high, especially with women. Now they are focused on promoting word-of-mouth.
- 3:00 – He didn’t want the movie to look like a sleek car commercial. He jokingly calls his visual style here “goth tech.”
- 5:00 – Describes his work with ILM to create the monster vs. robot fights. Del Toro actively designs each shot and tries to shoot it like you would a sporting event.
- 8:00 – Says they thought about every element telling the story to make sure the action is clear and believable.
- 10:45 – Explains why you should see it in IMAX.
- 13:15 – Del Toro talks Pacific Rim toys that you can look forward to by Sideshow.
- 14:20 – There are two fighting video games available. Del Toro says a different kind of game that enhances the world would take three years to develop, only possible if there is a sequel.