Say what you will about trailer commentaries, but for a project like Pacific Rim and a director like Guillermo del Toro, I’ll take all the behind-the-scenes info I can get! The movie’s trailer showed off all kinds of robots vs monsters (Jaegers vs Kaiju) action, but del Toro now provides a bit more background on when the scenes occur in the context of the film, character origins and how the pilots control the mecha. If that’s too spoilery for you, steer clear, because we’ve got a long way to go before Pacific Rim debuts.
Starring Charlie Hunnam, Idris Elba, Rinko Kikuchi and Charlie Day, Pacific Rim opens July 12, 2013. Hit the jump for del Toro’s commentary track.
Check out the video of Guillermo del Toro giving up insider info along with the trailer for Pacific Rim below, thanks to MTV:
- Guillermo del Toro Talks RISE OF THE GUARDIANS, PUSS IN BOOTS 2, KUNG FU PANDA 3, TROLLHUNTERS, PACIFIC RIM, PAC RIM 2, and More
- PACIFIC RIM Viral Campaign Begins; Hints at Trailer’s Release in Two Weeks [Updated with Jaeger Blueprint]
- PACIFIC RIM Viral Marketing Continues with Video of Kaiju Attack [Updated with Two New Jaeger Blueprints]
- New Jaeger Blueprint for PACIFIC RIM Shows off “Striker Eureka” [Updated with Crimson Typhoon Jaeger]
- Legendary Entertainment Sets Guillermo del Toro and Travis Beacham to Write PACIFIC RIM Sequel
- Charlie Hunnam Talks DEADFALL, SONS OF ANARCHY Season 5, PACIFIC RIM, and Writing a Movie About a Drug Lord for WB and Legendary
- Hi-Res Images from PACIFIC RIM, BEAUTIFUL CREATURES, SEVENTH SON, and THE HOBBIT: THE DESOLATION OF SMAUG
- First Trailer and New Image and Poster for Guillermo del Toro’s PACIFIC RIM
- 55 Images from PACIFIC RIM Featuring Robots, Kaiju and Some Humans, Too
Here’s the official synopsis on Pacific Rim:
When legions of monstrous creatures, known as Kaiju, started rising from the sea, a war began that would take millions of lives and consume humanity’s resources for years on end. To combat the giant Kaiju, a special type of weapon was devised: massive robots, called Jaegers, which are controlled simultaneously by two pilots whose minds are locked in a neural bridge. But even the Jaegers are proving nearly defenseless in the face of the relentless Kaiju. On the verge of defeat, the forces defending mankind have no choice but to turn to two unlikely heroes—a washed up former pilot (Charlie Hunnam) and an untested trainee (Rinko Kikuchi)—who are teamed to drive a legendary but seemingly obsolete Jaeger from the past. Together, they stand as mankind’s last hope against the mounting apocalypse.