While we’ve already seen a handful of character posters from Thor: The Dark World featuring the men of the film, today the ladies get in on the action. Marvel has unveiled separate character posters for Natalie Portman’s Jane and Jaimie Alexander’s Sif from the Alan Taylor-directed sequel, and while Portman’s one sheet is rather underwhelming, it’s nice to see Alexander in the midst of battle on her individual poster.
Hit the jump to check out the posters. The film also stars Chris Hemsworth, Tom Hiddleston, Kat Dennings, Idris Elba, Anthony Hopkins, Zachary Levi, Ray Stevenson, Stellan Skarsgård, Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje, and Christopher Eccleston. Thor: The Dark World opens November 8th.
FX has unveiled some creep-tastic new posters for American Horror Story: Coven. The third season of the horror anthology series deals with witchcraft, specifically the war between the Salem-descended witches and the voodoo witches. Jessica Lange plays a powerful witch who returns home to New Orleans where her daughter runs a school for young witches. As with previous seasons, Coven will shift time periods and also features Kathy Bates as historical figure Madame Delphine LaLaurie and Angela Bassett as a voodoo witch queen. In this new series of posters, we get a nice preview of Bassett’s character along with plenty of disturbing imagery.
Hit the jump to check out the posters. The series also stars Emma Roberts, Denis O’Hare, Alexandra Breckenridge, Patti LuPone, Gabourey Sidibe, Evan Peters, Sarah Paulson, Taissa Farmiga, Frances Conroy, and Lily Rabe. American Horror Story: Coven airs on FX starting Wednesday, October 9th at 10pm.
The viral marketing campaign for director Spike Lee’s Oldboy reinterpretation has been pretty impressive/bleak thus far, and that streak continues with a new series of posters that advertise the amenities found at “Hotel Oldboy” with tongue firmly planted in cheek. We see gruesome looks at Josh Brolin’s character’s captivity accompanied by taglines like “24/7 private security” and “three in-room meals a day.” Everything we’ve seen from the film thus far has shown that Lee is not smoothing out the rough edges of Park Chan-wook’s original 2003 film, and I continue to look forward to the finished product.
Hit the jump to check out the posters. The film also stars Elizabeth Olsen, Sharlto Copley, Lance Reddick, Michael Imperioli, and James Ransone. Oldboy opens in theaters on November 27th. [Update: FilmDistrict has released a new promo video for the film, which is included after the jump.]
If these new posters from the CW’s second season of Arrow are any indication, then newcomer Grant Gustin better renew that gym membership. The Glee star was recently added to the show’s line-up as Barry Allen, aka The Flash. While he’ll only show up in three of the season’s episodes, he’ll have to hold his own against star Stephen Amell and co-stars David Ramsey, Colton Haynes and Manu Bennett (what, no Paul Blackthorne?), who show off their chiseled physiques in this new batch of Arrow posters. The CW sure does know their demographic!
Arrow returns for its second season on Wednesday, October 9 at 8/7 PM CT on the CW. Hit the jump to check out the posters.
The third season of the anthology series American Horror Story, subtitled Coven, is slated to premiere on FX next month, and now the first images and some revealing plot and character details have landed online. American Horror Story: Coven puts the focus on witches and witchcraft and takes place mainly in New Orleans. We’ve known for some time that Kathy Bates will be playing historical figure Madame Delphine LaLaurie, who was infamous for the brutal torture of her slaves, and we get a good look at her in these first look images along with a peek at Angela Bassett’s voodoo witch character.
Hit the jump to check out the images and for much more information on what the plot for AHS: Coven entails. The series premieres on FX October 9th at 10pm. [Update: FX has sent out a couple of debut posters and a new teaser for the season, which are now included after the jump.]
Check out new posters from the following films:
- Thor: The Dark World – New posters from Alan Taylor’s Marvel sequel features Anthony Hopkins as the great Odin (and his ravens) and Tom Hiddleston as Loki. (Check out this previously-released Loki poster for fun photoshopped comparison!) Thor: The Dark World opens November 8th.
- Bad Grandpa - Jackass presents this new poster for Jeff Tremaine’s comedy starring Johnny Knoxville, Jackson Nicoll and a host of confused prank victims. Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa opens October 25th.
- The Counselor - A new international look at Ridley Scott’s The Counselor features Michael Fassbender, Cameron Diaz, Brad Pitt, Penelope Cruz and Javier Bardem all in one place. The Counselor also opens October 25th.
Hit the jump to take a look.
Check out a selection of new posters from the following films:
- Thor: The Dark World – Alan Taylor’s Marvel follow-up starring Chris Hemsworth, Tom Hiddleston, Natalie Portman, Kat Dennings, Idris Elba, Anthony Hopkins, Zachary Levi, Ray Stevenson, Jamie Alexander, Stellan Skarsgård, Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje, and Christopher Eccleston opens November 8th.
- Snowpiercer – Bong Joon-ho’s futuristic thriller starring Chris Evans, Tilda Swinton, John Hurt, Jamie Bell, Alison Pill, Ed Harris, Ewen Bremner,Octavia Spencer, Kang-ho Song, and Ko Asung does not yet have a U.S. release date.
- The Book Thief – Brian Percival’s book adaptation starring Sophie Nélisse, Geoffrey Rush, Emily Watson, and Ben Schnetzer, opens November 15th.
- 12 Years a Slave – Steve McQueen’s biographical drama starring Chiwetel Ejiofor, Michael Fassbender, Benedict Cumberbatch, Paul Giamatti, Quvenzhane Wallis, Sarah Paulson, Paul Dano, Scoot McNairy, Garrett Dillahunt, Alfre Woodard, Dwight Henry, Michael K. Williams, and Brad Pitt opens October 18th.
- Ender’s Game – Gavin Hood’s sci-fi novel adaptation starring Asa Butterfield, Hailee Steinfeld, Ben Kingsley, Viola Davis, Abigail Breslin, and Harrison Ford, opens November 1st.
- Homefront - From writer Sylvester Stallone, adapted from the Chuck Logan novel, director Gary Fleder’s action thriller stars Jason Statham, James Franco, Winona Ryder, Kate Bosworth, Clancy Brown, Frank Grillo and Rachelle Lefevre, and opens November 27th.
Hit the jump to view the posters and synopses.
A couple of new posters for director Alan Taylor’s Marvel sequel Thor: The Dark World have landed online. The film finds Chris Hemsworth’s Thor squaring off against the villainous dark elf Malekith the Accursed (Christopher Eccleston). One of these new posters highlights Eccleston’s villainous Malekith, as we get a close up look at the antagonist who appears to be holding a rather strange mask. The other poster shows Hemsworth’s Thor playing the “big man protector” role alongside Natalie Portman’s Jane Foster.
Hit the jump to take a look at the posters. The film also stars Tom Hiddleston, Stellan Skarsgård, Idris Elba, Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje, Kat Dennings, Ray Stevenson, Zachary Levi, Tadanobu Asano, Jaimie Alexander, Rene Russo, and Anthony Hopkins. Thor: The Dark World opens in 3D on November 8th.
What do the above-mentioned properties have in common? Well, they’re spooky, will both appear on TV this October and have just released first looks at their respective posters. (Other than that, very little besides the word “story”.) First up is the poster for FX’s American Horror Story: Coven, the third season of the Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk horror anthology that will see the return of stars Jessica Lange, Emma Roberts, Denis O’Hare, Alexandra Breckenridge, Patti LuPone, Gabourey Sidibe, Evan Peters, Sarah Paulson, Taissa Farmiga, Frances Conroy, and Lily Rabe on FX starting Wednesday, October 9th at 10pm.
We also have a look at some art from Toy Story of Terror!, a Halloween special that will see Woody, Jessie, Buzz Lightyear and the rest of the gang heading out on a road trip that takes a disastrous detour. Toy Story of Terror! premieres Wednesday, October 16th at 8pm on ABC. Hit the jump to see both posters.
A variety of new posters has been released online. Briefly:
- The Secret Life of Walter Mitty – Director/star Ben Stiller defies gravity in the first poster for his promising adventure comedy. The film also stars Kristen Wiig and Adam Scott and opens on December 25th.
- Gravity – Speaking of gravity, a new poster for director Alfonso Cuaron’s space-set pic shows off half of the cast as we see George Clooney’s astronaut character. Sandra Bullock leads the film, which opens on October 4th.
- All Is Lost – The first poster for J.C. Chandor’s (Margin Call) survival drama puts star Robert Redford in a tight situation. The film opens on October 18th.
- Ass Backwards – The debut poster for the Sundance comedy, starring Casey Wilson and June Diane Raphael. The film will be availabl VOD on September 30th and hits theaters on November 8th.
Hit the jump to take a look at the posters.
A package of posters to open:
- Riddick – Vin Diesel, Katee Sackhoff, and David Bautista star in the sci-fi action sequel directed by David Twohy.
- Kill Your Darlings – John Krokidas’ biopic follows the volatile friendships of Allen Ginsberg (Daniel Radcliffe), Jack Kerouac (Jack Huston), William S. Burroughs (Ben Foster), and Lucien Carr (Dane DeHaan).
- How I Live Now – Saoirse Ronan, Tom Holland, Anna Chancellor, George McKay, and Corey Johnson star in the Kevin Macdonald-directed feature set in the near-future UK.
- Mr. Nobody – Jared Leto stars as the last-living mortal in 2092. Sarah Polley, Diane Kruger, Linh-Dan Pham, Rhys Ifans, Natasha Little, Toby Regbo, and Juno Temple co-star.
See the posters after the jump.
And the next property that the good folks at Mondo are tackling is…DuckTales! Yes indeed, the 90s-favorite animated series is getting the Mondo treatment by way of six excellent posters by JJ Harrison, Anne Benjamin, Phantom City Creative, and DKNG featuring everyone’s favorite inhabitants of Duckburg. The posters will be available to purchase on Wednesday, August 28th, and are being released in concert with Capcom and Disney’s upcoming video game DuckTales: Remastered, which is a wonderful upgrade of the original NES game.
Hit the jump to get a look at the posters, and good luck getting the theme song out of your head for the rest of the day. As always, follow Mondo on Twitter for onsale info, as the posters will be available to purchase at a random time on August 28th.
New posters have landed online for two star-studded ensembles that are headed to theaters later this year. Besides teasing the stellar cast, there’s really not much to the full theatrical poster for George Clooney’s new directorial effort The Monuments Men, but we do see Matt Damon flanked by Clooney, Bill Murray, John Goodman, Jean Dujardin, Bob Balaban, and Hugh Bonneville. Based on a true story, the film centers on an unlikely World War II platoon made up of museum directors, curators, and art historians tasked by FDR with going into Germany and rescuing artistic masterpieces from Nazi thieves before they are lost forever. The film also stars Cate Blanchett and opens in theaters on December 20th.
Additionally, the first poster for Jon Turtletaub’s (National Treasure) comedy Last Vegas also highlights its ensemble, as we get a look at Michael Douglas, Robert De Niro, Morgan Freeman, and Kevin Kline laughing it up as a quartet of friends who get together to celebrate a bachelor party in Vegas. The film opens on November 1st. Hit the jump to check out both posters.
Showtime has released four new posters for the upcoming third season of Homeland, and I cannot wait to catch up with Carrie, Brody, and Saul next month. Sure season two had its ups and downs, but what I love about Homeland is that the show just goes for it; stories that you would expect to play out over the course of an entire season climax after just a few episodes, and stellar performances by Claire Danes, Damian Lewis, Mandy Patinkin, and even Morgan Saylor sell the nuttiness that ensues.
Hit the jump to check out four new posters for the season, and if you missed it click here to watch the excellent debut trailer. Season three of Homeland premieres on Showtime Sunday, September 29th.
Legendary filmmaker Alfred Hitchcock’s birthday is tomorrow, August 13th, and the good folks at Mondo are celebrating the occasion by releasing a few Hitchcock-related goodies. Available to purchase will be a rather haunting new Psycho poster by artist Tomer Hanuka, two excellent new Vertigo posters by Ghoulish Gary Pullin, and a T-shirt boasting Hitch’s classic caricature logo from Alfred Hitchcock Presents, available in two color schemes. All items will be on sale at a random time tomorrow, so keep your eye on Mondo’s Twitter for the drops.
Hit the jump to take a closer look at the posters and T-shirts.