Opening today is director Greg Berlanti’s Life As We Know It and it stars Katherine Heigl, Josh Duhamel, Josh Lucas, Christina Hendricks and Hayes MacArthur. The movie is about two single adults that become caregivers to an orphaned girl when their mutual best friends die in an accident. (synopsis via IMDb)
At the press junket for the film, I was able to sit down with producer Paul Brooks for an in depth conversation. At first we talked about how he got into producing, segwayed into how Life As We Know It got made, and then we got to talking about how dramatically the movie industry has changed over the past two years and how it’s affected everybody. Finally, we talked about two of his upcoming projects: ATM and The Haunting in Georgia. Hit the jump to watch the interview. As usual, I’ve time indexed our conversation so you can watch the parts that interest you.
You can watch some clips from Life As We Know It by clicking here.
- How does making this film compare to Greek Wedding
- 1:00 – How did he get into producing
- 2:45 – What was the stepping stone that got him his break
- 3:50 – Talks about his first film Leon the Pig Farmer
- 4:10 – How long did it take to get Life As We Know It off the ground
- 4:40 – Is he the type of producer that’s on set all the time
- 5:05 – We talk about how the industry has changed a lot in the last two years and how it’s affected his movies
- 6:20 – We talk about how the industry is either making under 50 million dollar movies or huge tent poles and the budgets that used to be 70 and 80 million are no more
- 7:15 – ATM talk (same writer as Buried). The movie has just now started filming. Talks about why he wanted to make it. Reveals his son is directing it.
- 9:00 – Other future projects. Talks about The Haunting in Georgia, The Haunting in New York, and Sammy – which is a romantic comedy