At this year’s Toronto Film Festival, I was able to speak with Paul Giamatti about starring in director George Clooney’s political drama The Ides of March. Starring Clooney, Ryan Gosling, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Giamatti, Marisa Tomei, Evan Rachel Wood and Jeffrey Wright, the pic takes place during the tension-filled moments leading up to an all-important Ohio presidential primary where a press secretary (Gosling) finds himself in the middle of a scandal that could upend his candidates’ (Clooney) shot at winning. Loaded with great performances and a smart script, The Ides of March is really well done and definitely worth your time.
During the wide ranging interview, Giamatti talked about how he got involved in the project,what kind of research he did, and how the film isn’t heavy handed. In addition, he talked about playing Tom Cruise’s manager in Rock of Ages and singing Journey, David Cronenberg’s Cosmopolis (where he plays Robert Pattinson’s stalker), John Dies at the End, and reveals that he wants to do a western or a private eye movie. Hit the jump to watch.
And if you missed my video interview with Jeffrey Wright, click here.
- What’s his karaoke song
- What’s the last video game he’s played
- How did he get involved in the film
- How the film isn’t heavy handed
- What kind of research did he do for the role
- Is he the reason The Hangover 2 did so well
- Rock of Ages talk. He plays Tom Cruise’s manager and he sings Journey in the film
- Cosmopolis talk. Says that the film is one day in the life of Robert Pattinson’s character and he plays his stalker
- John Dies at the End talk
- I ask what does he want to do in the future and he says he wants to do a western or a private eye movie