Opening this weekend, in limited release, is a great movie called Barney’s Version. Based on Mordecai Richler’s prize-winning comic novel, the movie is about four decades, two continents, and the three wives of Barney Panofsky (played to perfection by Paul Giamatti). Without saying too much, the film follows Barney’s long and colorful life and over the course of two hours, we really feel like we’ve spent a lifetime with him. In a good way. And while I singled out Giamatti, Rosamund Pike, Minnie Driver, Rachelle Lefevre, Dustin Hoffman and Scott Speedman are all fantastic. For more on the film, watch the trailer here.
Anyway, the other day I sat down with Giamatti and Pike and while I didn’t have much time, we talked about how they got involved in the project, the rehearsal process, did they read the book, and Pike gave me an update on The Godmother. Hit the jump to watch what the interview:
Paul Giamatti and Rosamund Pike
- We joke around about 3 minutes…
- How did they get involved in the project
- Did they read the book before filming
- The rehearsal process. Do they like it or do they want to find it on set
- Rosamund Pike talks about The Godmother. Which is a film set in London