As of this writing, we know that Johnny Depp is set to reprise his role as Captain Jack Sparrow in Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales, written by Jeff Nathanson and directed by Kon-Tiki‘s Joachim Rønning and Espen Sandberg, who are aiming for a 2016 release. Everything else that follows can be filed squarely under “rumor”. We’ve got a few new possible plot details for the fifth installment of the high-seas fanchise, along with a pair of actors who could be starring alongside Depp, plus a host of character descriptions. It’ll be interesting to say the least if it all turns out to be true, but there’s a good chance it’s nothing but bilge. Hit the jump for more.
We first reported on rumored plot details a couple of months ago. Here’s what we had, with spoilers whited out for your protection (highlight to read):
- Witchcraft and witches play a very central role to the story.
- There’s a new female lead who will be a sparring partner for Jack Sparrow. She is suspected of witchcraft but is actually a woman of science.
- There is also a ghost in a lead role, a former member of the British military who is now sided with Captain Barbossa.
- Two pretty young Brits from farming families play into a subplot, filling the Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley roles from the initial trilogy.
- The film begins with “a rather awkward wedding” and the climax involves the myth of the Bermuda Triangle.
- Jack and his team are in search of The Trident, which Keith [Richards’] Teague holds valuable information to.
- The villain this time is Captain Brand… [he] wants the Trident so he can get his revenge on Jack.
- Brand believes Jack turned his brother Eric into a pirate, which led to his death.
- Also in Dead Men Tell No Tales, Jack becomes enchanted by Barbosa’s daughter, Carina Smyth.
- She’s a beautiful woman in her late 30s who is called a witch by some but is really an adept astronomer.
The first thing you’ll notice is that Mail Online is claiming an exclusive on Keith Richards’ return to the franchise. That may very well be, but their source also said the picture was starting production in October; it’s now slated to begin filming early next year. Of interest is the Captain Brand character, which has apparently piqued the interest of Christoph Waltz. As for the role of Carina Smyth, BC reports that the studio is interested in Rebecca Hall, but there’s no further confirmation beyond that. One final character note, previous reports mentioned a “naked witch” playing a role in the plot; that casting call has apparently been adjusted slightly to “exotic”, though it’s unclear if the “naked” part is up for negotiation.