Last month, we reported that Dane Cook would lead the voice cast of Disney’s Cars spin-off, Planes.Â His character, Dusty, dreams of being a racer, but because heâs not built for it, he turns to a seasoned naval aviator to help him take on the defending champ of the racing circuit.Â Today, Disney has announced the actors voicing the supporting characters.Â It’s a surprisingly large cast that has Top Gun‘s Val Kilmer and Anthony Edwards voicing fighter jets, which is a nice touch.Â The voice cast also includes Stacy Keach, Cedric the Entertainer, Teri Hatcher, Brad Garrett, Roger Craig Smith, Gabriel Iglesias, Carlos Alazraqui, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, John Cleese, Priyanka Chopra, Sinbad, Brent Musburger, and ESPN’s vile radio host Colin Cowherd.Â Cowherd voices blimp “Colin Cowling”.Â It is currently unknown if the blimp will engage in race-baiting.
Hit the jump to check out images of all the supporting characters.Â Planes opens in 3D on August 9th. [Updated: We’ve added a press release, which contains details on the new characters]
Here’s the press release:
BURBANK, Calif. (March 27, 2013) â Audiences worldwide are fastening their seatbelts as âDisneyâs Planesâ prepares to take off this summer. Joining Dane Cook, who provides the voice of Dusty, are Stacy Keach, Brad Garrett, Teri Hatcher, Cedric the Entertainer, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, John Cleese, Carlos Alazraqui, Priyanka Chopra, Gabriel Iglesias, Roger Craig Smith, Colin Cowherd, Sinbad, Oliver Kalkofe and Brent Musburger.
Adding some high-flying flair from a classic feature film are Anthony Edwards and Val Kilmer.
Inspired by the world of âCarsâ and directed by Disneytoon Studios veteran and aviation enthusiast Klay Hall (âKing of the Hill,â âThe Simpsonsâ), âDisneyâs Planesâ is an action-packed 3D animated comedy adventure about Dustyâs dream of competing as a high-flying air racerâand his decidedly unfortunate fear of heights. The film takes off in theaters in 3D on Aug. 9, 2013.
- Stacy Keach (âThe Bourne Legacy,â Alexander Payneâs upcoming âNebraska,â Robert Rodriguezâs and Frank Millerâs âSin City: A Dame To Kill Forâ) provides the voice of Skipper, a reclusive old Navy Corsair who takes Dustyâs training to new heights.
- Brad Garrett (âEverybody Loves Raymond,â âHow to Live with Your Parents for the Rest of Your Lifeâ) lends his voice to fuel truck Chug, Dustyâs buddy, coach and biggest fan.
- Teri Hatcher (âCoraline,â ABCâs âDesperate Housewivesâ) brings life and charm to the say-it-like-it-is mechanic Dottie.
- Cedric the Entertainer (âBarbershop,â âLarry Crowne, âMadagascarâ) as Leadbottom, a puttering old biplane who has no time for Dustyâs far-fetched flights of fancy.
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus (âVeep,â âThe New Adventures of Old Christine,â âSeinfeldâ) lends her voice to Rochelle, a tough and confident racer who is the pride of the Great White North.
- John Cleese (TVâs âWhitney,â âA Fish Called Wandaâ) is the voice of Bulldog, the oldest and arguably wisest racer on the circuit.
- Carlos Alazraqui (James Garcia on Comedy Centralâs âReno 911â) brings to life the intensely charming El Chupacabra, a racer with more dramatic flair than is recommended at high altitudes.
- Priyanka Chopra (âBarfi!â) voices the exotic, mysterious and ruthless Ishani, the reigning Pan-Asian champion from India.
- Roger Craig Smith (Captain America in Disney XDâs âMarvelâs Avengers Assemble,â voice of Sonic The Hedgehog in âWreck-It Ralphâ) voices world champion racer Ripslingerâwings down, the biggest name in air racingâand he knows it.
- Gabriel Iglesias (Comedy Centralâs âGabriel Iglesias Presents Stand-up Revolutionâ) provides the voices of both Ned and Zed, two not-so-sharp saboteurs who work for Ripslinger.
- Val Kilmer (âBatman Forever,â âTop Gunâ) provides the voice of Bravo, a member of the Jolly Wrenches and a fan of air racing.
- Anthony Edwards (TVâs âZero Hour,â âTop Gunâ) is the voice of Echo, a member of the Jolly Wrenches and a fan of air racing.
- Colin Cowherd (ESPN) gives play-by-play coverage as Colin Cowling, an affable blimp and an eye-in-the-sky reporter for the Racing Sports Network.
- Sinbad (Comedy Centralâs âWhere U Been?â) brings to life Roper, an irascible race official pitty full of sly remarks and colorful commentary.
- Oliver Kalkofe (âNeues vom Wixxerâ) provides the voice of meek German minicar Franz and his brazen airborne alter ego Fliegenhosen.
- Brent Musburger (ESPN, ABC Sports) brings Brent Mustangburger, the excitable 1964Â˝ FordÂ Mustang sports broadcasting icon, back to the big screen.