Last month, we reported that Dane Cook would lead the voice cast of Disney’s Cars spin-off, Planes.Â His character, Dusty, dreams of being a racer, but because heâ€™s not built for it, he turns to a seasoned naval aviator to help him take on the defending champ of the racing circuit.Â Today, Disney has announced the actors voicing the supporting characters.Â It’s a surprisingly large cast that has Top Gun‘s Val Kilmer and Anthony Edwards voicing fighter jets, which is a nice touch.Â The voice cast also includes Stacy Keach, Cedric the Entertainer, Teri Hatcher, Brad Garrett, Roger Craig Smith, Gabriel Iglesias, Carlos Alazraqui, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, John Cleese, Priyanka Chopra, Sinbad, Brent Musburger, and ESPN’s vile radio host Colin Cowherd.Â Cowherd voices blimp “Colin Cowling”.Â It is currently unknown if the blimp will engage in race-baiting.
Hit the jump to check out images of all the supporting characters.Â Planes opens in 3D on August 9th. [Updated: We’ve added a press release, which contains details on the new characters]
Here’s the press release:
BURBANK, Calif. (March 27, 2013) â€“ Audiences worldwide are fastening their seatbelts as â€śDisneyâ€™s Planesâ€ť prepares to take off this summer. Joining Dane Cook, who provides the voice of Dusty, are Stacy Keach, Brad Garrett, Teri Hatcher, Cedric the Entertainer, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, John Cleese, Carlos Alazraqui, Priyanka Chopra, Gabriel Iglesias, Roger Craig Smith, Colin Cowherd, Sinbad, Oliver Kalkofe and Brent Musburger.
Adding some high-flying flair from a classic feature film are Anthony Edwards and Val Kilmer.
Inspired by the world of â€śCarsâ€ť and directed by Disneytoon Studios veteran and aviation enthusiast Klay Hall (â€śKing of the Hill,â€ť â€śThe Simpsonsâ€ť), â€śDisneyâ€™s Planesâ€ť is an action-packed 3D animated comedy adventure about Dustyâ€™s dream of competing as a high-flying air racerâ€”and his decidedly unfortunate fear of heights. The film takes off in theaters in 3D on Aug. 9, 2013.
- Stacy Keach (â€śThe Bourne Legacy,â€ť Alexander Payneâ€™s upcoming â€śNebraska,â€ť Robert Rodriguezâ€™s and Frank Millerâ€™s â€śSin City: A Dame To Kill Forâ€ť) provides the voice of Skipper, a reclusive old Navy Corsair who takes Dustyâ€™s training to new heights.
- Brad Garrett (â€śEverybody Loves Raymond,â€ť â€śHow to Live with Your Parents for the Rest of Your Lifeâ€ť) lends his voice to fuel truck Chug, Dustyâ€™s buddy, coach and biggest fan.
- Teri Hatcher (â€śCoraline,â€ť ABCâ€™s â€śDesperate Housewivesâ€ť) brings life and charm to the say-it-like-it-is mechanic Dottie.
- Cedric the Entertainer (â€śBarbershop,â€ť â€śLarry Crowne, â€śMadagascarâ€ť) as Leadbottom, a puttering old biplane who has no time for Dustyâ€™s far-fetched flights of fancy.
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus (â€śVeep,â€ť â€śThe New Adventures of Old Christine,â€ť â€śSeinfeldâ€ť) lends her voice to Rochelle, a tough and confident racer who is the pride of the Great White North.
- John Cleese (TVâ€™s â€śWhitney,â€ť â€śA Fish Called Wandaâ€ť) is the voice of Bulldog, the oldest and arguably wisest racer on the circuit.
- Carlos Alazraqui (James Garcia on Comedy Centralâ€™s â€śReno 911â€ť) brings to life the intensely charming El Chupacabra, a racer with more dramatic flair than is recommended at high altitudes.
- Priyanka Chopra (â€śBarfi!â€ť) voices the exotic, mysterious and ruthless Ishani, the reigning Pan-Asian champion from India.
- Roger Craig Smith (Captain America in Disney XDâ€™s â€śMarvelâ€™s Avengers Assemble,â€ť voice of Sonic The Hedgehog in â€śWreck-It Ralphâ€ť) voices world champion racer Ripslingerâ€”wings down, the biggest name in air racingâ€”and he knows it.
- Gabriel Iglesias (Comedy Centralâ€™s â€śGabriel Iglesias Presents Stand-up Revolutionâ€ť) provides the voices of both Ned and Zed, two not-so-sharp saboteurs who work for Ripslinger.
- Val Kilmer (â€śBatman Forever,â€ť â€śTop Gunâ€ť) provides the voice of Bravo, a member of the Jolly Wrenches and a fan of air racing.
- Anthony Edwards (TVâ€™s â€śZero Hour,â€ť â€śTop Gunâ€ť) is the voice of Echo, a member of the Jolly Wrenches and a fan of air racing.
- Colin Cowherd (ESPN) gives play-by-play coverage as Colin Cowling, an affable blimp and an eye-in-the-sky reporter for the Racing Sports Network.
- Sinbad (Comedy Centralâ€™s â€śWhere U Been?â€ť) brings to life Roper, an irascible race official pitty full of sly remarks and colorful commentary.
- Oliver Kalkofe (â€śNeues vom Wixxerâ€ť) provides the voice of meek German minicar Franz and his brazen airborne alter ego Fliegenhosen.
- Brent Musburger (ESPN, ABC Sports) brings Brent Mustangburger, the excitable 1964Â˝ FordÂ Mustang sports broadcasting icon, back to the big screen.