We have a bunch of brief news items for you in one handy article regarding particular actors being interested in particular projects. Please note, “interested” usually means an actor wants to take a look at a script for a project. It doesn’t mean they’re signed on, in negotiations, or that the project even has a green light. But it is interesting to know who’s interested in what so hit the jump for news regarding Natalie Portman, Dustin Hoffman, Liam Hemsworth, Robert Downey Jr., Kristen Stewart, Josh Brolin, and Sam Rockwell all looking into various potential projects.
These reports come via Pajiba.
– Natalie Portman is looking into playing “edgy” Snow White in Brett Ratner and Relativity Media’s The Brothers Grimm: Snow White.
– Dustin Hoffman is interested in playing the crime boss in The Contortionist’s Handbook. The film is set to star Channing Tatum as “a forger who moves smoothly from one identity to the next because of a strict code of conduct that keeps him from getting caught or having to deal with his own troubled past. That gets upended when he falls for a beautiful woman with her own dark secret.”
– Liam Hemsworth is looking to play one of the fallen angels in Disney’s Fallen, which is supposed to be like Twilight but with fallen angels instead vampires. The film is about a high school girl who has to choose between two gorgeous guys who, unbeknownst to her, are fallen angels who have battled for centuries. The story is based on the novel by Lauren Kate.
– Robert Downey Jr. is reportedly interested in starring in the The $40,000 Man. The film was written by Terry Zwigoff (Ghost World) and re-written by John Francis Daley (Horrible Bosses) and is about “a legendary astronaut and ‘true American hero,’ who is horribly injured in a car crash and is rebuilt by the government to be a bionic man but on a budget of $40,000 – which makes him not that bionic.” I’m particularly curious about Downey’s interest in this project since the role sounds like Iron Man but with crappy powers.
– Kristen Stewart is interested in playing the lead in the Peter Craig scripted Little American. Produced by Ron Howard and Brian Grazer, the film is described as a cross between Speed (okay) and Black Dog (huh?) and centers on “a 16-year-old prostitute who inadvertently kills a gang member, and then must go on the run. She hitches a ride with a truck driver who is hauling a lethal toxin. The truck driver and the prostitute bond during the chase.” Josh Brolin is interested in playing the truck driver.
– Finally, Sam Rockwell is looking into playing Julius Rosenberg in Ethel. Written by Yon Motskin, the drama is about Ethel Rosenberg, who, along with her husband Julius, was executed in 1953 for conspiracy to commit espionage.