With Stargate Universe returning with new episodes on Tuesday, September 28 on Syfy, I was invited – along with a few other online journalists – to visit the Vancouver set a few weeks ago. While on set I got to see a number of the SGU soundstages, interview the entire cast, and I was also able to check out the new Bridge set that was built for season two. As a big fan of SGU, it was very cool to see the Destiny ship up close and also interview everyone who brings the show to life.
Anyway, while on set I was able to speak with co-creator/writer/executive producer Brad Wright. Actually, I got to speak with him in the Gate room on the Destiny ship (which was very cool). During my exclusive interview we talked about what’s coming up on season 2, how far they’ve planned the show, what other original Stargate characters are visiting SGU (he reveals McKay and Woolsey from Stargate Atlantis are stopping by) and so much more. If you’re a fan of SGU, you’ll learn a lot about what’s coming up after the break:
Even though I won’t write about the big spoilers I learned while in Vancouver, I have no problem saying season two builds on the momentum of the first and it’s heading towards a big revelation. Trust me, by the end of season two, a lot of information about the Destiny will be revealed.
And one last thing…my interview with Brad Wright was only supposed to be ten minutes. So a big thank you to him for giving me over double that time. Finally, here’s my on set interview with David Blue and Elyse Levesque in case you missed it and look for more video interviews in the coming days.
- Is he used to doing interviews on flip cameras in the gate room
- Talks about how the gate in SGU is unique and describes its power on the show
- 2:15 – How challenging is it to come up with storylines for Stargate
- 4:25 – Are there more characters from the original Stargate shows coming into SGU. He says in second half of season two there are characters from Stargate Atlantis including McKay and Woolsey
- 6:10 – Talks about writing the Atlantis characters into the serious tone of SGU
- 7:45 – How much does he read the online chatter
- 9:00 – We talk about the move to Tuesday nights
- 10:20 – How is season 2 different from season 1
- 12:00 – He talks about how far ahead in story they are
- 13:20 – Says they know where the series will end
- 13:40 – He talks about the bridge set. Since the ship was built for season 1, the bridge for season 2, I ask if he knows what they want to build for season 3 and he says they do know. Says it could be next to the bridge set…
- 14:50 – What percentage of the ship has been explored. He says far under 50%
- 15:40 – How would he compare the first 10 and the second 10 episodes of season 2
- 16:50 – Is there a location they want to film at that they haven’t been able to get to yet
- 18:25 – Are there any Easter Eggs on the ship that fans should look out for