So do you remember about a month back when we posted this lovely, heartfelt PSA to remind you lot about Mother’s Day? Well recent studies have shown that fathers also have a hand in bringing us into this world (who knew?). As such, we’d like to dedicate today’s PSA to real-life and fictional fathers alike, the ones who taught us how to ride bikes and play baseball and stalk gazelles in the savannah grasslands. So go get your dad (or, if you are a dad, round up the kids) and hit the jump to watch this brief Father’s Day PSA courtesy of The Lion King. After that, be sure to check out all of our previous PSAs here.
Check out the Father’s Day PSA here:
Mufasa is one of my favorite fathers in cinema, one who pays the ultimate sacrifice to educate and protect his son, Simba. Here are a few other famous dads who have gone through great lengths to take care of their kids:
- Liam Neeson in Taken – Neeson’s character Bryan Mills kills more Europeans than the bubonic plague in order to rescue his kidnapped daughter.
- Robin Williams in Mrs. Doubtfire – Nothing says, “I love my kids,” like disguising yourself as a female British housekeeper to spend time with them.
- Chevy Chase in National Lampoon’s Vacation Series – Clark W. Griswold wanted to show his family a good time, he just cocked it up.
- Jack Nicholson in The Shining – All work and no play made Jack Torrance unfit for Father of the Year.
- John Huston in Chinatown – Noah Cross is about the worst dad you can be, and if you don’t know why, you need to watch this film again.
- Hayden Christensen/David Prowse/James Earl Jones/Sebastian Shaw in Star Wars – Darth Vader may have done a good deed in the end, but good Lord, it did not come close to making up for a lifetime of abandonment and murder.
This is by no means an exhaustive list, so leave your best/worst dads in the comments!