With director James Gunn’s superhero flick Super opening this weekend, I recently got to sit down with Rainn Wilson to talk about how he got involved with the project. As you might expect from Gunn (Slither, PG-Porn), Super is violent, twisted, and darkly comic. I had a lot of fun watching it.
During the interview, Wilson talked about the six degrees of Kevin Bacon, what’s his karaoke song, how did he get involved in the project (has to do with Jenna Fischer), how did his character change after he signed on, his thoughts on VOD, and we ended the interview talking about The Office. Hit the jump to watch:
And if you missed my video interview with Ellen Page for Super, click here.
- :11 Did he sign on to be higher up on the list for Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon?
- :46 His go-to karaoke song.
- 1:08 Was the film an immediate “yes?” Says he knew he wanted to do it before he finished the script. Tells a story about Jenna Fischer getting him and director James Gunn together for the film.
- 2:05 How did the character change when he signed on for the role? Says they didn’t have to change the character at all. Says he knew who the character was and what the role called for.
- 2:42 Talks about watching the film with an audience. Says it’s too bad that people will be watching the film on VOD because Super is a communal experience. Says audiences go crazy.
- 3:34 Talks about the current season of The Office. Says a lot has been happening on the show with Steve Carell leaving and says the future is wide open for the show. Says it’s a very interesting time for reinvention. He literally doesn’t know what’s going to happen on the show regarding who the new boss is going to be and where the show will go after Carell leaves.