With Peter Jackson’s The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey opening this weekend, I recently got to interview some of the cast and filmmakers in New York City and every day this week I’ll be posting an exclusive interview. Yesterday I posted Andy Serkis and today it’s Richard Armitage, who plays Thorin Oakenshield, son of Thráin, son of Thrór, King Under the Mountain.
During the interview, Armitage talked about his reaction to seeing The Hobbit for the first time, what it was like to transform his physical appearance, what’s been the biggest surprise making The Hobbit trilogy, whether or not he is looking forward to the additional filming next year, and a lot more. Hit the jump to watch.
- Is he enjoying being anonymous even when standing next to a Hobbit poster with Thorin on it. Also talks about transforming his physical appearance to play the character
- Talks about his reaction to seeing the film for the first time
- What’s been the biggest surprise making The Hobbit trilogy
- Is he looking forward to the additional photography for the 3rd Hobbit movie next year. Talks about how it takes 10 weeks to grow back the beard
- Which does he like filming more: the big action scenes or the intimate character moments
Peruse all our recent coverage of The Hobbit below:
- First image from The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug.
- Dave’s review of the film.
- 6 clips from the film.
- 20-minutes of behind-the-scenes footage.
- First Image from The Hobbit: There and Back Again Features Orlando Bloom and Luke Evans
- Steve’s set visit round-up and 70 things to know.
- Peter Jackson on-set interview.
- Ian McKellan on-set interview.
- Martin Freeman on-set interview.
- Richard Armitage on-set interview.
- Weta Workshop head Richard Taylor on-set interview.