If you look over Rock Baker’s resume, you can’t help but be impressed. As the makeup artist on such films as An American Werewolf in London, Coming to America, Tropic Thunder (he did Robert Downey Jr.’s makeup), and dozens of other high profile movies, the man is a legend in the industry and someone who I was extremely excited to talk to last weekend.
The reason I got to speak with him was for his work in director Joe Johnston’s The Wolfman. In case you didn’t know, rather than just go with CGI, The Wolfman is a mix of practical effects and CG work. And that’s one of the reasons the Wolfman looks so awesome in the film…it’s an actor under that makeup and not just a computer generated image!
So if you’re interested in Baker’s work on just curious how he got involved in the film, hit the jump. Thanks to our partners at Omelete for making this interview happen.
Finally, here’s some movie clips from The Wolfman.
- We talk about the very impressive set up behind him
- Has he been to Brazil
- Did he pursue The Wolfman or did they come to him
- What is his opinion on practical effects versus CG
- Working with Benicio Del Toro
- Has Universal talked to him about doing any effects on any of there other monster movies