If you’re looking forward to Star Trek 2, Cowboys & Aliens, Fringe season 3, the remake of Hawaii 5-0, the View-Master movie, or just want to know how movies are really made, you’re going to love the interviews I did with screenwriters Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman at this year’s Saturn Awards. While most of the time you’re lucky to talk to someone once at a big awards show, I managed to get a lot of time with these two very busy screenwriters as I spoke to them before the show on the red carpet and then backstage after winning The George Pal Memorial Award. What I’m trying to say is…I got tons of updates on everything I mentioned.
For fans of Star Trek, they say they’re about half way through the figuring out the story of the sequel and they are “circling” the villain. And for fans that are looking forward to Cowboys & Aliens (Jon Favreau’s next film), they talk about how the script changed when Daniel Craig got cast and how they got Harrison Ford in the film and so much more. Also, they said they didn’t think anything would be at this year’s Comic-Con…but I don’t necessarily believe that as Favreau knows how important Comic-Con is.
The interviews are loaded with great info, so hit the jump and take a look. Everything is time indexed so you can watch the parts that interest you:
Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman talk STAR TREK 2, COWBOYS & ALIENS, FRINGE, HAWAII 5-0 on Red Carpet at 2010 Saturn Awards
- What’s the last few months been like for them. Says they have been on the Cowboys and Aliens set.
- :50 – Cowboys & Aliens talk – how happy are they with the script and how much did the script change when Robert Downey Jr. left the project and when Daniel Craig came in
- 2:00 – Is Craig’s voice like his voice in Bond
- 2:45 – How hard was it to get Harrison Ford in the movie. They say he came in to see the art before he said yes.
- 3:45 – They talk about Ford’s character in the movie
- 4:10 – Star Trek 2 talk – if they are on set…are they writing Trek 2?
- 5:00 – Where are they on the script for Star Trek 2 – They say they are half way through the story
- 5:40 – Fringe season 3 talk
- 5:50 – Hawaii 5-0 talk – are they going mythology on it or will it be a standalone show
Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman on COWBOYS & ALIENS, STAR TREK 2 Villain, FRINGE Season 3, VIEW-MASTER, More (Backstage)
- What did they win for. They talk about how lucky they are
- We talk about how awesome this awards show is
- 1:35 – Fringe talk
- 2:00 – Now You See Me talk – a spec script they purchased. They say it’s about magicians who rob banks
- 3:00 – How easy is it for them to buy a script
- 3:50 – Cowboys & Aliens script talk – have there been any changes on set? They say they did a lot of rewriting before they got to set to make sure every actor had the right part.
- 5:00 – Is it too soon for anything to be ready at Comic-Con
- 5:20 – Is the movie going to be a close adaptation of the comic book
- 5:55 – What room is there in the film for “Indians”
- 6:22 – They talk about the cast
- 7:30 – How does the fact that the studio must be thinking franchise on the project affect their writing
- 8:10 – What are the theme’s of Fringe season 3. They say if you are the exact same person, could two people be completely different?
- 8:50 – How many kinds of aliens are in the film and how do you defeat creatures that are very far evolved technologically
- 9:55 – What’s up with View-Master
- 10:50 – Have they come up with the villain on Star Trek 2