While not as well known in America as some of his counterparts in What to Expect When You’re Expecting, Rodrigo Santoro is absolutely the bigger star in places like Brazil. That’s because while Santoro has acted in some Hollywood movies and TV shows like Love Actually, 300, I Love You Phillip Morris (which is severely underrated) and Lost (he played Paulo), in Brazil he’s acted in countless movies and he’s a big time movie star.
At the recent Los Angeles press day for What to Expect When You’re Expecting (he plays Jennifer Lopez‘s husband), I landed an extended interview with Santoro. During our wide ranging conversation we talked about how he got into acting, his favorite movies, how he got cast in What to Expect, the success of Love Actually, and the 300 sequel/spin-off 300: Battle of Artemisia . In addition, Santoro addresses the rumor of him playing famed Brazilian Formula One racer, Ayrton Senna, in a feature film. If the project comes together it sounds like it could be really cool, and he definitely looks the part. Hit the jump to watch.
And if you missed them, here’s my other video interviews for the movie:
- Chace Crawford and Anna Kendrick
- Cameron Diaz and Matthew Morrison
- Elizabeth Banks and Ben Falcone
- Director Kirk Jones
- 0:50 – Rodrigo Santoro reveals what his go-to karaoke song is and talks about his favorite movies and directors.
- 2:20 – Santoro talks about the film Awakenings and Robert De Niro’s performance being the catalyst that got him seriously interested in acting.
- 4:20 – Regarding What to Expect When You’re Expecting, Santoro talks about how he got involved with the picture, which is his second comedy after Love Actually.
- 6:20 – Santoro talks about fans of Love Actually and how they react when meeting him.
- 7:25 – The spin-off to 300 features Santoro’s return to the role of the God-King, Xerxes. He talks about the progress of the film here.
- 8:15 – Santoro talks briefly about the filming location of 300: Battle of Artemisia.
- 8:25 – The spin-off will feature more of a backstory on Xerxes, which Santoro talks briefly about. He also comments on the challenge of returning to the character.
- 9:55 – Santoro addresses the rumor of him playing famed Brazilian Formula One racer, Ayrton Senna, in a feature film
- 11:00 – Santoro comments on the progress of the Senna feature.
- 11:50 – Santoro says it would be an honor to play the role if the movie gets off the ground. He stresses the need to find the right people for the project to ensure that they do justice to the internationally adored Ayrton Senna.