Opening this weekend in New York and Los Angeles is one of the best films you’re going to see this year: director Derek Cianfrance’s The Place Beyond the Pines. The pic centers on a professional motorcycle rider turned bank robber (Ryan Gosling) and a rookie police officer (Bradley Cooper). Saying more would be detrimental to your enjoyment of the film, and I would encourage you to be very careful when reading about it. Pines also stars Eva Mendes, Bruce Greenwood, Dane DeHaan, Ray Liotta, Ben Mendelsohn, and Rose Byrne. For more on the film, here’s images, clips, and everything we’ve previously posted on the film.
At the recent New York City press day, I got to speak with Gosling. We talked about how he prepared to make sure his character looked real and authentic on screen, the motorcycle stunts, whether he’s seen the Mondo Drive posters, his directorial debut How to Catch a Monster, whether he has seen a cut of Nicolas Winding Refn’s Only God Forgives (Gosling says it’s ”very very extreme.”), and reveals that they’ve asked some of the fans who made Drive posters to make some Only God Forgives posters! Hit the jump to watch.
Finally, The Place Beyond the Pines will be expanding into more theaters in April, so if you don’t live in NYC or L.A., you’ll still be able to see the film in the near future.
- Has he seen the Mondo Drive posters. Talks about how he’s seen a lot of the fan art. Says they have approached some of the people that made Drive posters to make Only God Forgives posters
- How did how he prepare to make sure his character looked real and authentic on screen
- Gosling does some incredible stunts on a motorcycle in the film. Was there ever a point where he thought it might be too difficult to do it himself
- Talks about his directorial debut How to Catch a Monster. Says they start shooting the film in Detroit in a couple of months
- Has he seen a cut of Only God Forgives? Says it’s “very very extreme.”