When we last left the town of Salem, MA at the end of the first season, John Alden (Shane West) learned that Mary Sibley (Janet Montgomery), his first love, is a witch. He still loves her, and tries to get her to run away with him. Things don’t exactly go as planned. Tituba (Ashley Madekwe) sees her packing her things and tells her that if she doesn’t complete the Grand Rite, her son, whom she previously thought was dead, will be.
John and Tituba share a love of Mary, but it’s likely to destroy them and the town in Season 2. I recently visited the set of Salem in Shreveport, Louisiana, where I got to chat with the cast. West and Madekwe shared their favorite gross-out scenes, the turn in their feelings for Mary, the history of Tituba and celebrate the passing of John Alden’s wig.
Check it out and stay tuned for our interviews with the rest of the cast and crew of Salem, which returns to WGN America on April 5.
Shane West and Ashley Madekwe:
- :11 — West and Madekwe talk about how their shared issues with Mary are going to affect things in Season 2.
- :54 — West proclaims his pleasure at not having to wear that wig anymore and what issues it posed.
- 1:38 — Madekwe talks about her research into the history of the real Tituba.
- 2:56 — Madekwe gives us a sneak peek at some of the crazier spells we’re going to see this season.
- 3:22 — West and Madekwe tell us which of the gross-out scenes in Season 1 were their favorite.