At the recent Los Angeles press day for Skyfall, I was able to speak with director Sam Mendes. During our extended conversation we talked about fan reaction to Skyfall, whether it was tough to land cinematographer Roger Deakins, deleted scenes, what will be on the eventual Blu-ray, whether he will direct another James Bond film, Javier Bardem’s character’s sexuality, crafting his own version of a Bond story rather than being beholden to the Bond mythos, and a lot more. In addition, we talked about his Preacher adaptation, whether he would direct a comic book movie like Justice League (and his thoughts on the comic book movie genre), his vampire hunter TV series featuring Van Helsing with John Logan (which he will produce and possibly direct the pilot), and more.
I absolutely loved Skyfall. Sam Mendes has crafted one of the best James Bond movies ever made. While the Bond franchise is now 50 years old, Mendes has shown the best might be yet to come. I really can’t recommend this film enough. For all our Skyfall coverage including our review, clips, posters, my set visit and more, click here. Skyfall also stars Judi Dench, Javier Bardem, Helen McCrory, Ralph Fiennes, Naomie Harris, Berenice Marlohe and Ben Whishaw. Hit the jump to watch the interview.
Here’s the time index of the interview so you can watch the parts that interest you. If you missed my video interviews with Daniel Craig, Javier Bardem, Dame Judi Dench and Naomie Harris and Berenice Marlohe, just click the links.
Finally, towards the very end of the interview spoilers are discussed. You’ve been warned.
Sam Mendes Time Index:
- 0:15 – Sam Mendes comments on fan reactions to Skyfall.
- 1:10 – Mendes talks about the time between his films, his work in theater and when we can expect another movie.
- 2:00 – Mendes reacts to the overwhelmingly positive response to Skyfall.
- 3:00 – Mendes was happy to have the studio’s full support in marketing Skyfall and contrasts it to his previous works.
- 3:55 – Mendes talks about his collaboration with cinematographer Roger Deakins on Skyfall.
- 6:15 – Regarding the eventual Blu-ray, Mendes talks about the possibility of an extended cut and/or deleted scenes.
- 6:40 – Mendes talks specifically about deleted scenes from Skyfall.
- 8:00 – Mendes comments on the possibility of returning for another Bond installment and reveals how close he came to the deadline in post-production.
- 10:10 – Mendes talks about the progress of adapting the graphic novel Preacher.
- 11:40 – Mendes clarifies that he never quite found the right formula for bringing Preacher to the screen, but comments on how well it would work for television.
- 12:30 – Mendes talks about a vampire hunter TV series featuring Van Helsing, an original idea of John Logan’s which he will produce and possibly direct the pilot.
- 13:25 – Could Mendes direct Justice League? The director answers the question here.
- 14:25 – Mendes talks about the possibility of directing a “comic book movie” in the future.
- 15:15 – Mendes addresses the significant changes to the Bond franchise in Skyfall and where the ideas came from and the process of getting them approved.
- 19:00 – Mendes comments on Javier Bardem’s character and how he was introduced in the film.