Dr. Scott Clemens (Scott Wolf) had a bit of a rough run in season 1 of The Night Shift. He made the ultimate commitment by ditching his surgery gig in Dallas to move to San Antonio to be with Jordan (Jill Alexander), but shortly after his arrival, he caught her rekindling her romance with TC (Eoin Macken). He definitely wasn’t happy about it, but, as Wolf himself noted, he’s a guy who makes saving lives the priority so he opted to stay at San Antonio Memorial as the head of the trauma department.
While visiting the Albuquerque, New Mexico set of The Night Shift season 2 a few weeks back, I got the chance to sit down with Wolf to discuss where Dr. Clemens stands with TC and Jordan, how the show nails the balance between intense medical procedures and the characters’ personal problems, Dr. Clemens serving as Paul’s (Robert Bailey Jr.) mentor and more. You can check it all out in the video interview below. The Night Shift airs on Monday at 10pm on NBC.
- 00:00 – Taking his character from season 1 to season 2.
- 00:50 – Where Scott stands at San Antonio Memorial.
- 02:18 – On the situation between TC, Jordan and Scott.
- 04:01 – On Dr. Clemens stepping in for Ragosa to a degree and becoming the voice of reason.
- 05:10 – The balance between the characters’ personal problems and the life and death medical procedures on the show.
- 05:40 – Why Scott decides to stay at San Antonio Memorial after losing Jordan.
- 07:10 – On Scott mentoring Paul this season.
- 08:17 – On Scott being a three-dimensional character.
- 08:54 – Scott grounds the night shift, but sometimes to a fault.
- 09:38 – The characters could have been cookie-cutter cliches, but that’s not the case.