Loaded with amazing visuals, a brilliant script by Drew Goddard, great performances from the entire cast, and science that makes sense, Ridley Scott’s The Martian is one of those special movies that needs to be seen on the biggest movie screen possible, in the loudest theater. While I saw a lot of movies at the Toronto International Film Festival, The Martian was one of my favorites. For more read Matt’s review.
Based on Andy Weir‘s best-selling novel of the same name, the film stars Matt Damon as Mark Wattney, an astronaut stranded alone on mars in the aftermath of a disastrous evacuation. With only the remaining supplies, his scientific genius and a great sense of humor to subsist on, Wattney must find a “science the shit out of this” to survive on the red planet and find a way home. The Martian also stars Sebastian Stan, Jessica Chastain, Michael Pena, Kate Mara, Jeff Daniels, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Sean Bean, Donald Glover, Mackenzie Davis and Kristen Wiig.
While at TIFF, I landed an extended interview with Sebastian Stan. While I already posted what he said about Captain America: Civil War and The Winter Soldier, Zack Snyder’s “flavor-of-the-week” comment about Ant-Man, and other Marvel topics, it’s time for the full conversation, which you can enjoy below.
Finally, if you missed The Martian cast playing “Save or Kill”, click here.
- Talks about being on a role with good movies.
Did he read the book when he got the role or did he want to stick to the script?
- Did he prep or collaborate with Ridley before the start of the shoot?
- What did he take away from the experience of working with such a master filmmaker?
- Talks about the massive fan response to the The Winter Soldier.
- Says he has lot more dialogue in Civil War.
- Talks about the specific look and physicality of The Winter Soldier.
- Talks about the joy of playing such an unpredictable, wild card character.
- When did he know that the post-credits scene would be attached to Ant-Man?
- Talks about the feat the writers for Civil War have to pull off.
- Says it’s very much a Captain America movie, not just Avengers5.
- Calls out Zack Snyder’s “flavor-of-the-week” comment about Ant-Man.
- Is Bucky a part of the next two Avengers movies?
- Winter Soldier hair talk.