Exclusive: Seth Rogen on ‘Preacher’ Season 2, Future R-rated Animated Movies, and Directing TV
One of the best shows on television that you’re probably not watching is AMC’s Preacher. Based on Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon’s comic series, the show was brought to life by Seth Rogen, Evan Goldberg, and Sam Catlin and is now airing its second season Monday nights.
If you’re not familiar with the story, Preacher started off with an inaugural season that was essentially a prequel to events that happen throughout the violent graphic novel, which revolves around a preacher (Dominic Cooper) who has inherited a power called Genesis (a supernatural entity that has chosen his body as a host and gives him the power to make people do whatever he says). Now in its second season, the show is using more of the source material as it follows Jesse Custer (Dominic Cooper), his girlfriend Tulip (Ruth Negga), and his friend and vampire Cassidy (Joseph Gilgun) on a road trip to find God, with an enigmatic villain named The Saint of Killers (Graham McTavish) hot on their tail.
Anyway, last night at Film Independent at LACMA here in Los Angeles, Rogen, Goldberg and Catlin were doing a Q&A after showing next week’s episode. Shortly before they took the stage, I landed an exclusive video interview with Seth Rogen. We talked about what they wanted to accomplish in Preacher season 2, the tone of the show, what it’s been like working with AMC and if they’ve ever wanted them to alter the storyline based on the subject matter, why he and Goldberg have been directing so much TV recently, if he thinks a Sausage Party sequel will happen, future R-rated animated movies, what he loves about Comic-Con, and more.
Check out what Seth Rogen had to say in the video above and below is a rundown of what we talked about followed by some images from Preacher.
Sneaker talk and getting to wear the Back to the Future 2 sneaker at the Oscars.
- What’s the movie people always want to talk about?
- What did they want to accomplish in Preacher season 2? Talks about how they wanted to double down on tone.
- How has it been working with AMC and has the network asked them to edit anything out?
- How long does he think Preacher can go for?
- Did they ever think about directing the entire season?
- Does he think a Sausage Party sequel will happen?
- Have they developed any ideas for future R-rated animated movies?
- What’s the plan for him and Evan Goldberg to direct a new feature film?
- Comic-Con talk. Does he wear a mask when he goes on the con floor? Also talks about his favorite booths and shares a great story about Edward Norton.