Opening this weekend is director Neill Blomkamp’s Elysium. For those unfamiliar, the story takes place in 2159, and two classes of people are divided: the wealthy live on a man-made space station called Elysium, while the rest of the humans inhabit an overpopulated and ruined Earth. Matt Damon plays a desperate man who must reach Elysium in order to find a cure that will save his life. The film also stars Jodie Foster, Sharlto Copley, Alice Braga, Wagner Moura, Diego Luna and William Fichtner.
The other day I landed a video interview with Sharlto Copley. He talked about filming in Mexico City, Blomkamp’s directorial process, how he changes his lines on every take, what he collects (Hot Toys figures), and more. Hit the jump to watch.
And if you missed my video interview with Matt Damon, click here.
- What does he want to talk about? Says he loves talking about movies and while on set he’d talk about movies with Damon in between takes
- Was he nervous to film in a dump in Mexico City
- How he does something different in every take
- Says when he arrived on set he was prepared to do every line as scripted but then Blomkamp let him adjust his lines
- What does he collect. Reveals he’s started collecting action figures (specifically Hot Toys from Sideshow)