Financing for SIN CITY: A DAME TO KILL FOR Secured; Production to Begin This Summer

     April 12, 2012

clive-owen-sin-city-2-slice

I know this is hard to believe, but it appears that Sin City 2 is really, actually, 100% happening.  It was just announced that Robert Rodriguez’s Quick Draw Productions and Alexander Rodnyansky’s AR Films will partner with Dimension Films on Sin City: A Dame to Kill For, which is set to begin filming this summer.  Rodriguez said as much back in March, but he’s been promising “movement” on a Sin City sequel for years now so everyone basically took the news with a grain of salt.  As far as what’s in store for Sin City 2, creator/co-director/writer Frank Miller had this to say:

“The first Sin City knocked out audiences who had never seen anything like it before. Robert Rodriguez and I are going to shake things up and deliver a ferocious film experience that is going to go even further than the first.“

Hit the jump for more on the film, including story and casting details.

sin-city-imageThough the script is being kept tightly under wraps, Rodriguez previously revealed that the plot will involve three separate stories from Miller: A Dame to Kill For and two new ones that have yet to be announced.  Casting is set to begin next week with much of the original cast returning, but Miller’s graphic novel A Dame to Kill For heavily features the character of Dwight, played by Clive Owen in the 2005 film, so I presume he’ll be back.

Miller wrote the first draft of the screenplay, which was rewritten by The Departed scribe William Monahan before going back to Miller for one last pass.  Filming on Sin City: A Dame to Kill For is set to get underway this summer, presumably after Rodriguez wraps the Machete sequel, Machete Kills Again.  He previously stated that the knife-heavy follow-up would begin filming in April, and given how quickly Rodriguez shoots in his studio down in Austin, it’s entirely feasible that he could make both movies this year.

robert-rodriguez-sin-city-2With casting beginning next week, we should hear quite a bit more about the film in subsequent weeks.  I’ll be interested to see just how many actors from Sin City really do show up given how long it’s been since the original.  Nevertheless, I’m still in a bit of shock that Sin City 2 is actually happening.  Read the full press release below.

AUSTIN, TX (12 April 2012) — Filmmakers Robert Rodriguez and Frank Miller, along with producer Alexander Rodnyansky, have announced that production will commence on the highly anticipated sequel to 2005’s Sin City, entitled Sin City: A Dame To Kill For. The film will be produced by AR Films and Quick Draw Productions, financed through AR Films U.S and released domestically by Dimension Films.

“The first question I am always asked is “When will you make another Sin City? ,” said Rodriquez.  “I have wanted to re-team with Frank Miller and return to the world he created since the day we wrapped the original, but have felt a duty to the fans to wait until we had something truly exceptional that would meet and exceed what have become epic expectations.  A Dame To Kill For will certainly be worth the wait.”

Sin City creator, screenwriter and co-director Frank Miller said, “The first Sin City knocked out audiences who had never seen anything like it before. Robert Rodriguez and I are going to shake things up and deliver a ferocious film experience that is going to go even further than the first.“

The script and details of the film’s story have been kept tightly under wraps. Casting will begin next week, with many of the original cast expected to return.  The film, a Quick Draw Production, will be produced by Rodriguez and producing partners Aaron Kaufman and Iliana Nikolic; and by Alexander Rodnyansky and Sergei Bespalov and Stephen L’Hereux. Miller, The Weinstein Company’s Harvey and Bob Weinstein and Miramax’s Adam Fields will act as executive producers. Sin City: A Dame to Kill For was developed by Frank Miller based upon his graphic novel, with a screenplay by Frank Miller and Academy Award winner William Monahan (The Departed). The film is expected to begin production this summer at Rodriguez’s Troublemaker Studios in Austin, Texas.

Alexander Rodnyansky said, “We are delighted to continue our relationship with Robert Rodriguez and Quick Draw Productions. It is a rare opportunity to produce and finance a film with the high profile and enormous fan base of the Sin City franchise. AR FIlms will be managing worldwide sales of Sin City: A Dame to Kill For, as well as Robert’s Machete Kills at the Cannes Film Festival in May.”

The original Sin City was brought to the screen by Rodriguez and Miller and released by Dimension in 2005, and proved to be a landmark step forward in filmmaking, breaking ground with immersive green screen to create its iconic stylish look. The first film, released on April 1, 2005, grossed over $160 million (US) worldwide and is a consistently strong home video and television performer.

“Audiences have been clamoring for Sin City 2 with Robert and Frank for a long time and trust me, it will be worth the wait,” said Bob Weinstein, co-chairman of The Weinstein Company.  “This will be my 11th collaboration with Robert in 16 years and he’s become a great friend. I look forward to continuing our long lasting relationship and partnering on more projects in the future.”

The deal was negotiated by Aaron Kaufman, Craig Emanuel of Loeb & Loeb and Robert Newman of WME on behalf of Rodriguez; David Glasser and Andrew Kramer on behalf of Dimension Films; Schuyler Moore of Stroock & Stroock & Lavan and Jere Hausfater on behalf of AR Films; Kenneth Keller and Garth Rosengren of Krieg, Keller, Sloan, Reilley & Roman and John LaViolette of Bloom Hergott Diemer Rosenthal LaViolette Feldman Schenkman & Goodman on behalf of Stephen L’Heureux and Solopsist Films; and Mark Lichtman and Neil Meyer and Allison Binder of Stone, Meyer, Genow, Smelkinson & Binder on behalf of Miller.

Around The Web

Latest News

THE NIGHT BEFORE Red-Band Trailer: Seth Rogen Celebrates NSFW Christmas

Lizzy Caplan, Jillian Bell, and Michael Shannon also star in Jonathan Levine's new comedy.

New SICARIO Trailer Ratchets Up the Tension

'Sicario' will make its U.S./North American premiere at Toronto International Film Festival 2015.

Jeff Nichols’ Sci-Fi Film MIDNIGHT SPECIAL Pushed to 2016

Michael Shannon, Kirsten Dunst, and Adam Driver lead the original story, which was initially set for release this November.

First Images for Charlie Kaufman’s ANOMALISA and DEMOLITION Starring Jake Gyllenhaal

Kaufman makes his stop-motion animation debut, while Gyllenhaal fronts an intense drama from the director of 'Dallas Buyers Club'.

TIFF 2015 Lineup Includes THE MARTIAN, SICARIO, THE DANISH GIRL, and More

Ridley Scott's sci-fi film will world premiere in Toronto along with a new documentary from Michael Moore, the Bryan Cranston-fronted 'Trumbo', and more.

Tig Notaro, Eugene Mirman Lead FUN FUN FUN FEST Lineup

The Austin, TX festival kicks off in November.

FANTASTIC FOUR Trailer Mashup Wonderfully Blends New Film with Roger Corman’s Movie

I want to see this film.

BATMAN V SUPERMAN: Jesse Eisenberg Goes Full Silicon Valley in New Images

The titular heroes get their brood on while Lex lives it up on his personal basketball court.

Ryan Reynolds Is Unmasked in New DEADPOOL Images

The Merc with a Mouth wasn't always so red.

BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DC Entertainment Confirms Tao Okamoto’s Role

She is who you think she is.

Page 1 of 4,06212345...102030...Last »