If we can trust the Tweet, then Star Trek 2 and Zachary Quinto have officially wrapped. Quinto sent out an image and a brief message over Twitter today that would suggest the follow up to J.J. Abrams‘ 2009 Star Trek has wrapped. After these set photos and video initially leaked earlier this year, we haven’t see a whole lot out of the Starfleet camp (here’s a hat). Quinto stays the course with this Tweet, as far as images go, but it’s good to know the production has wrapped up. Maybe now we can get an official title. The Untitled Star Trek Sequel, starring Chris Pine, Zoe Saldana, Simon Pegg, Anton Yelchin, Karl Urban, John Cho, Alice Eve, Peter Weller, Noel Clarke, and Benedict Cumberbatch. , opens May 17th, 2013. Hit the jump to see the image along with a recap of what we know about the sequel.
Check out the image and message left by @ZacharyQuinto earlier today:
zq. picture wrap. holy shit.
Yeah, admittedly it’s not really much of anything. Also, as of the writing of this article, @simonpegg posted this confirmatory tweet:
Wind, reel and print. The countdown to May 2013 has begun.
So it’s safe to assume Spock and Scotty can hang up the Starfleet uniforms for a little while. If you’d like to steer clear of spoilers, quit reading now. We’re going to do a quick wrap-up of what we know about the sequel so far:
- A new Star Trek comic series will bridge the original movie to the sequel.
- Locations from the 2009 film will be reused, but there was also talk of a Hawaii location for a “jungle planet” as well as a “famous Star Trek location” outside a Los Angeles museum.
- Michael Giacchino will return as composer.
- Alice Eve may have a new role added to the canon and there is a possibility of a second villain.
- Peter Weller’s role may be some variety of C.E.O.
- The Untitled Star Trek Sequel was shot in 2D and some IMAX and will be post-converted over the next year for 3D.
- Now for the big stuff:
- Benedict Cumberbatch will most likely be playing the villainous role of Khaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnn!!!
- It also looks like Leonard Nimoy will make an appearance as Spock Prime.
- Finally, the Klingons will be featured this time around, so keep practicing your Mok’bara!