It’s been almost a month since departing director Roberto Orci confirmed that the draft he wrote of Star Trek 3 would not be used and the project apparently has a two new writers onboard. Simon Pegg (you’ve heard of him) and Doug Jung (TNT’s Dark Blue, Banshee) are said to be tackling writing duties on a new version of the script for new director Justin Lin (Fast Five). There’s a release date looming, but Pegg has proven himself to be a strong writer (having co-penned Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, and The World’s End with Edgar Wright) so there’s no reason not to be optimistic about this news.
Meanwhile Jung has apparently impressed Bad Robot and Paramount with a recent draft on on of their projects, Diamond. The clock is ticking, but I consider this to be a good development. Even though I haven’t seen Jung’s work on Dark Blue or Banshee, Pegg’s pedigree is pretty solid. Star Trek 3 hits theaters on July 8th, 2016.
- Roberto Orci Confirms His STAR TREK 3 Script Isn’t Being Used
- STAR TREK 3 Gets a July 8, 2016 Release Date
- FAST & FURIOUS 6 Helmer Justin Lin Set to Direct STAR TREK 3
- STAR TREK 3 Director Shortlist Down to Five; APES Director Rupert Wyatt Considered the Frontrunner
- Roberto Orci Comments on Leaving STAR TREK 3 Director’s Chair; Says He Will Remain “Very Involved”
- Roberto Orci Will Not Direct STAR TREK 3; Edgar Wright Now Under Consideration
- William Shatner’s STAR TREK 3 Cameo Will Place Him in Familiar Company [Update: Shatner Comments]
- Roberto Orci Says First Draft of the STAR TREK 3 Script Is Complete
- Simon Pegg Touts STAR TREK 3 Director Roberto Orci; Reiterates Excitement for J.J. Abrams’ STAR WARS: EPISODE VII
- Roberto Orci Talks STAR TREK 3; Says Paramount Hasn’t Seen the Script Yet, Unconfirmed as Director Until Given the Greenlight