With Star Trek Beyond opening in theaters this weekend, the other day I landed an exclusive video interview with Simon Pegg and Karl Urban. Since they’ve been answering a lot of the same questions about Star Trek, plus the fact that I didn’t want to talk about spoilers from the movie, I decided to ask some fun questions. We talked about what they collect, favorite video game consoles, Pegg’s Harrison Ford picture, what they’d like to see in a Star Wars anthology movie, Pete’s Dragon, Thor: Ragnarok and a lot more. And while I think the entire interview is a lot of fun, I strongly suggest watching the last minute or two where they try and out franchise each other. Trust me, it’ll make you laugh.
As most of you know Star Trek Beyond finds the crew deep into their five-year mission, and brings Idris Elba into the fold as a villainous character, with Kingsman standout Sofia Boutella playing a new ally. Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana, John Cho, and Anton Yelchin also star as director Justin Lin works from a script penned by Pegg and Doug Jung.
Check out the interview above and below you can find the official synopsis followed by some recent Star Trek links and exactly what we talked about.
“Star Trek Beyond,” the highly anticipated next installment in the globally popular Star Trek franchise, created by Gene Roddenberry and reintroduced by J.J. Abrams in 2009, returns with director Justin Lin (“The Fast and the Furious” franchise) at the helm of this epic voyage of the U.S.S. Enterprise and her intrepid crew. In “Beyond,” the Enterprise crew explores the furthest reaches of uncharted space, where they encounter a mysterious new enemy who puts them and everything the Federation stands for to the test.
Simon Pegg and Karl Urban:
- What did Harrison Ford say to Pegg when he told him about his framed picture?
- Who did Pegg sleep with to be part of Star Trek and Star Wars?
- What do they collect?
- Favorite video game system?
- Pegg talks about involving the cast in the script.
- Have they seen Star Trek Beyond with a big crowd?
- The relationship between Spock and Bones in the film.
- Pete’s Dragon talk. Is Urban prepared for little kids to not like him?
- What would they like to see in a future Star Wars Anthology film?
- Thor: Ragnarok talk.
- Pegg and Urban try and out franchise each other.
Here are some recent Star Trek links:
- First ‘Star Trek Beyond’ Reactions Are Highly Positive
- Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto on What They Collect and If They’re Playing Pokemon Go
- Final ‘Star Trek Beyond’ Trailer Hits with Rihanna’s “Sledgehammer”
- ‘Star Trek Beyond’: Chris Pine on Kirk’s Psychological Battle
- Watch: Simon Pegg Shares “Star Trek Bed, Bath & Beyond” Spoof Video