After new images from J.J. Abrams’ Star Trek Into Darkness emerged today, one little photo caption has sparked renewed interest in the continuing debate over whether or not Benedict Cumberbatch’s character John Harrison is, in fact, Khan. Entertainment Weekly has had a slew of the Star Trek sequel’s images and poster reveals to date, so it’s a bit odd to think that this caption wasn’t cleared by someone in the know. Then again, it could have just been an editorial oversight (and if so, that editor might be about to get the Red Shirt treatment). Hit the jump to get this sorted.
Check out the image below (via CBM):
The Khan rumors have been floating around for a while now and this one headline is definitely not a confirmation, but it does throw fuel on the fire. In the most recent TV spot, Cumberbatch was recently heard to utter something along the lines of “I am better…at everything.” Since Khan is a genetically enhanced individual, this bit of dialogue jibes with the idea of Cumberbatch actually being Khan. Abrams has denied the existence of Khan in his film, but he’s not exactly the most reliable person when it comes to secrets he wants kept. We could debate this until opening day, but the fact is that Cumberbatch’s performance will make or break his character (I’m betting on the former).
- 5 New Images from STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS Show Benedict Cumberbatch Ready to Go Loki on Everyone’s Ass
- Check Out the STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS Entertainment Weekly Covers
- STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS to Open Two Days Early on May 15th Starting at 8:00PM, Tickets Purchased Through STAR TREK App
- Super Bowl TV Spots for FAST AND FURIOUS 6, IRON MAN 3, STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS, THE LONE RANGER, and More
- New STAR TREK App Reveals Exclusive Content for STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS and Beyond
- J.J. Abrams Talks Action, IMAX, and More in New Featurette for STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS
- Esurance Partnering with STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS for Exclusive Content
- J.J. Abrams Will Still Be Involved with STAR TREK 3 and MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE 5 Despite Commitment to STAR WARS
- J.J. Abrams Says Paramount Wouldn’t Make STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS Unless It Was in 3D
- J.J. Abrams Talks STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS, 3D, MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE 5, the FRINGE Finale, Future Projects, Maintaining Secrecy and More
- 11 New High-Resolution Images from STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS; Plus Dying Fan’s Reaction to Seeing the Full Film
- Benedict Cumberbatch and Alice Eve Talk STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS, Comparisons to THE AVENGERS and SKYFALL, the Audition Process, and More
Here’s the official synopsis for Star Trek Into Darkness:
In Summer 2013, pioneering director J.J. Abrams will deliver an explosive action thriller that takes Star Trek Into Darkness. When the crew of the Enterprise is called back home, they find an unstoppable force of terror from within their own organization has detonated the fleet and everything it stands for, leaving our world in a state of crisis. With a personal score to settle, Captain Kirk leads a manhunt to a war-zone world to capture a one man weapon of mass destruction. As our heroes are propelled into an epic chess game of life and death, love will be challenged, friendships will be torn apart, and sacrifices must be made for the only family Kirk has left: his crew.