STAR TREK 2 Writers Talk Sequel, Confirm They’ve “Broken the Story”

     November 30, 2010


While the sequel to 2009’s wildly successful Star Trek reboot is set to be released on June 29th, 2012, the film is still a ways off from production as the writers are still hammering away. Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci, who seem to be writing just about everything sci-fi related these days, recently sat down with Hero Complex and talked a bit about how the screenwriting was going. They’re tackling the screenplay alongside Lost showrunner/executive producer Damon Lindelof, who co-wrote the first Trek film.  Not a great amount of details were given on the film (the only large bit of information we know at this point is that Khan won’t be the villain), but Kurtzman did confirm that they have broken the story. Kurtzman and Orci talked more about the challenges they’ve faced when trying to write the sequel to such a successful film:

I think one of the weird challenges that we’re facing on this one is that in many ways, with the first movie, I don’t think people knew what to expect, so when we were in the writing process, Bob and I really spent our time going to things that we loved about “Trek” and it was a very unfiltered process. It felt intimate and small…[On this second film] we need to find our way back to the same kind of vibe that we had when we wrote the first one: What do we want to see here? What moved us about “Trek”? Where can we go from where we left off?

For what we know about the project so far, and more from Kurtzman and Orci, including whether or not they’re planning a Star Trek trilogy, hit the jump.

Speaking as to whether they’re thinking of this sequel as the second act in a three act franchise, a la The Empire Strikes Back, Orci says, “I don’t know that we’ve ever thought of it in terms of a trilogy…I’m not sure we’re thinking of it as a second act. I can’t speak for everybody on that, though.”  I see this as good news. Too many tentpole films these days are set up as a “planned trilogy,” and suffer from holding too much back (I’m looking at you Iron Man 2).

At this point, not a great deal is known about the sequel to J.J. Abrams’ fantastic reboot. Here’s what we know so far: Damon Linedlof hinted that the film may avoid a conventional chronological timeline, Khan won’t be the villain but another character from the original series will be, filming is said to begin “mid next year“, and JJ Abrams has yet to sign on as director (he’ll wait until a finished script is submitted to see whether he wants to make this his next project, following Super 8). While I’m as excited as the next guy to see what they have in store, I’m completely fine with Kurtzman, Orci, and Lindelof taking all the time they need to hone in on the right script. It sounds like they know the amount of pressure that they face, and want to make sure that they turn in the best script they can.

Watch Now
Around The Web

Latest News