Your (almost) daily dose of Star Wars semi-news is ready. A few weeks ago, a report surfaced that director J.J. Abrams was looking to kick off filming on Star Wars: Episode VII in Morocco and Tunisia, which served as the stand-ins for Tatooine in George Lucas’ previous Star Wars films. However, it appears that a new city will actually serve as the stand-in for Tatooine this time around, as a four-week shoot is being planned in Abu Dhabi. Hit the jump for more on the latest development regarding Star Wars: Episode VII.
Though this has been one of the most secretive and tight-lipped productions in recent memory, the folks at THR are hearing that Star Wars: Episode VII will shoot in and around Abu Dhabi beginning in mid-May. The production will indeed be recreating the planet of Tatooine, which of course was the home of both Luke and Anakin Skywalker. While Tunisia may have been considered as a possible location, apparently the political climate is too dangerous to host a production as big as Star Wars, so Abu Dhabi has been settled upon as its replacement.
The bulk of filming for Abrams’ Star Wars sequel will be taking place in Pinewood Studios in England, but Abrams is a fan of blending location work with his large-scale, VFX-heavy projects, so a month-long shoot in Abu Dhabi is fitting for the filmmaker.
Moreover, seeing as how we still haven’t heard any official casting beyond the presumably confirmed return of Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, and Harrison Ford, it’s possible that this first month-long block of filming mainly involves the original trilogy characters, which would explain why Abrams hasn’t (officially) set his young leads just yet with principal photography poised to get underway in a little over four weeks.
Of course nothing is certain when it comes to Episode VII, but with filming finally poised to get underway in a little over a month, some solid, official, no-nonsense news has to be coming our way within the next four weeks. Brace yourselves, folks. Episode VII is imminent.
To catch up on all of our Star Wars coverage thus far, click here. Peruse the recent links below.
- Maisie Richardson-Sellers Rumored for STAR WARS: EPISODE VII Role
- Peter Mayhew to Reprise His Role as Chewbacca in STAR WARS: EPISODE VII
- Filming on STAR WARS: EPISODE VII Already Underway; Most of the Cast Is Set
- STAR WARS: EPISODE VII Likely Shooting in Iceland; Is J.J. Abrams Going Back to Hoth?
- STAR WARS: EPISODE VII to Be Released in IMAX
- STAR WARS: EPISODE VII Takes Place 30 Years After RETURN OF THE JEDI; Starts Filming in May
- Lupita Nyong’o Meets with J.J. Abrams for Role in STAR WARS: EPISODE VII
- Shortlist for STAR WARS: EPISODE VII Lead Includes John Boyega and Jesse Plemons
- STAR WARS EPISODE 7 News: Adam Driver Nearing Deal to Play the Villain
- Gary Oldman and Zac Efron Confirm They’ve Had Meetings for STAR WARS: EPISODE VII
- Miles Teller Talks His STAR WARS: EPISODE VII Audition