Now that Star Trek Into Darkness has finally been released in theaters, director J.J. Abrams is free to focus the majority of his time on that other beloved franchise that he’s reviving: Star Wars. While plot details have been (and will be) kept under firm wraps for quite some time, we do know that Michael Arndt (Toy Story 3) is hard at work on the screenplay, and he was even seen with Abrams in London at the Into Darkness premiere, so it’s clear that the two are knee-deep in development on Episode VII.
With production looking to get underway in London in early 2014, Abrams and producer Kathleen Kennedy are likely starting to think about casting. A recent report has now surfaced that claims Abrams has already zeroed in on one actor for the film: Jonathan Rhys Meyers. Hit the jump for more.
The folks over at Latino Review claim that The Tudors and Mission: Impossible III star Jonathan Rhys Meyers is in talks to join Star Wars: Episode VII in an unspecified role. While LR’s track record on Marvel scoops has been pretty solid in the past, lately the outlet has become a bit cocky on the scoop-front with varying degrees of success, so the Meyers casting should most certainly be treated as an unconfirmed rumor. We don’t even know for sure if Abrams is in a position to start casting just yet, as it’s entirely possible that he and Arndt are still busy fine-tuning the film’s story; the director only just completed his duties on Trek. Moreover, with production not set to get underway until 2014, this does seem a bit early for negotiations to be starting with actors.
There have been plenty of mumurs that the actual star of Episode VII will be a female, so if Meyers is indeed being eyed for a role in the film, it’s likely not the protagonist. It’s possible that Abrams and co. have started looking into various actors’ availabilities to start putting together their shortlists, but I’m still a bit dubious that they’ve zeroed in on anyone in particular just yet. I would expect us to start hearing some firm casting news closer to the end of the summer or beginning of fall as we start closing in on that early 2014 production start-date. Disney is eyeing a 2015 release date for Episode VII.
Click here to catch up on all of our Star Wars coverage, or peruse the recent links below:
- Disney Launches New STAR WARS Animated Series, STAR WARS REBELS, for 2014 on Disney XD
- Brad Bird Talks THE INCREDIBLES 2 and STAR WARS: EPISODE VII
- Watch: J.J. Abrams and Jon Stewart Talk STAR WARS and STAR TREK on THE DAILY SHOW
- STAR WARS: EPISODE VII Will Shoot in the UK
- Producer Bryan Burk Says STAR WARS: EPISODE VII Will Likely Start Filming Early 2014
- Mark Hamill Talks STAR WARS and the New Trilogy; Hopes for a Balance Between CGI and Practical Effects
- May the Fourth Be With You: J.J. Abrams and Simon Pegg Talk STAR WARS
- J.J. Abrams Thinks John Williams Will Score STAR WARS: EPISODE VII
- Carrie Fisher Reiterates Her Involvement in STAR WARS: EPISODE VII
- J.J. Abrams Talks STAR WARS, STAR TREK, and CLOVERFIELD 2; Says He Could Direct TREK 3
- Watch: Harrison Ford Refuses to Answer STAR WARS Questions on JIMMY KIMMEL LIVE
- Disney Will Release a New STAR WARS Film Every Year Starting in 2015
- J.J. Abrams Talks STAR WARS: EPISODE VII and Approaching the Film as a Massive Fan of the Franchise
- Harrison Ford Talks His Involvement with STAR WARS: EPISODE VII; Says “I Think it’s Happening”
- Joss Whedon Says He Wouldn’t Bring Back Original Characters for STAR WARS: EPISODE VII